Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flambeau decoys

Flambeau decoys

Hi guys
    I have been hunting over a dozen or so of the cheap flambeau decoys from 'crappy tire' for a month now and doing okay. I understand you get what you pay for but any suggestions from the vets out there to improve there look or perhaps any words of wisdom. They seem to be working but the larger flocks of ducks circle a few times but don't seem to want to commit. Lots of singles and doubles coming in. Could it be glare from the paint? Any thoughts?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Flambeau decoys

It could be glare but with the rainy fall we've had I bet it something else!
    Could be you aren't leaving an area for the birds to land, maybe your decoys are too close together (nervous birds crowd together tighter), it could be that with more eyes in the flock, the birds are more liable to see something they don't like.
    Are you hunting a large amount of water or a field? How many decoys, how do you set them out? Do you use a robo and where do you put it if you do?
    A picture of your set up would help. Send a pm to me if you don't want to post it here for some reason.
    Dan
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Putting a Mojo in with your spread works wonders. I use those same decoys and combined with the Mojo they work just fine.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!

Yup add a robo duck or 2.

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

2- robos your gonna kill them. Make sure your landing area is into the wind.

If you have them circling it might actually be you or your gear they are spotting, and not your spread turning them away.

Cheers and happy hunting
    Some people call them hunting hounds, I call them cross country sight seeing guides

x2 the seeing you... If the singles and doubles are coming in then I expect the decoys will look fine, but when there is a flock there are a lot more eyes looking down, and the excitement will often make you move around a little more, and that shows up like you wouldn't believe.

Also a robo or 2 will certainly help the cause
    Member of:
    BC Wildlife Federation
    Delta Waterfowl
    Ducks Unlimited

Probably your cover isn't good enough in broad daylight. Might be fine early morn or evening, but when they can see everything expect 1-2 circles before they land a group. If they see anything they don't like, they're gonzo. Buy the double pack of baby mojos for $90 and improve your overhead cover. They will only get more wary as the season moves on. Also, learn the comeback call for when they circle away.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

I've got the same decoys. The budget isn't there (yet) for the mojos, so we rigged up a jerk line. Seemed to make a big difference, and cost about $5. Check youtube for the details...

I'm with them seeing you or the spread isn't quite right. If you have them coming in but not committing... play with your spread a little.

My g-pa still has a wack of old decoys from the 50's (he's since fallen in love with final approach) that were just pieces of wood cut out in a goose sillhouettes. Has pictures of him and his brothers out in the field with stacks of birds.

Just because they're cheap doesn't mean they won't work... you'll just have less of an edge over the birds.