Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy rifle hunter in Squamish!

Re: Crazy rifle hunter in Squamish!

I was on his side of the stump, i like the sign idea though! great idea. I may just try and hike up super far next time. I have heard that elevation is pretty important. I think i may be tracking alot of night time haunts.

The entire Sea to Sky up to Squamish is basically bow only. There is a 1 km no shooting area East and 400m west of the sea to sky. It is easily possible that the other hunter did not see or hear you. You would be very easy to miss if you were camo'd up and motionless while he was focused on the buck.

edit, most clear cuts especially in heavily hunted areas (ie close to the road) seem to be night time haunts unless you really luck out.
    Last edited by brian; 11-23-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Maybe ill try some timber way up above britania.

its pretty simple really,common sense tells you those hunters that are getting up in yrs,disabled,lazy, ect will be rd hunting.Once the legs quit working for whatever reason eventually all hunters will be rd hunters.So avoid those that are among us and get up into less acessable country well off the rds.These are the areas that hold the cranker bucks anyhow.

" Just sounds like your pouting"
    Come on now.. We all would. A guy pops your deer and your not upset? If you look in the mirror I think you will sympathize with the guy not cut him down for "pouting"..
    Hunt, Enjoy, Repeat

I do sympathize with you. I had a similar situation happen to me last year. I was hunting a very large 5x5 whitetail when a rifle hunter driving down the highway saw him in the field, jumped out of his truck, and shot him. Totally illegal, as their are houses along that stretch of highway, and the regs state that you have to be a minimum of 100 meters from a house or building with animals. He was not. I most certainly was disappointed, as I was hunting him everyday for more than 2 weeks. I'm sure I would have gotten him eventually, as I was finally getting to know his pattern.
    I thought I was fine, as I was hunting my neighbors private property, with permission of course. I didn't push the issue as it was another neighbor that shot the deer and also apparently had permission to hunt on this land. But still, I hate that kind of thing, mostly for the safety aspect.

So, this year I won't bowhunt that field. Instead. I'm hunting inside the bush where rifle hunters of that kind don't go. In many respects, bow hunting is better done away from fields and open areas. Better to sit and wait by a trail, where you are somewhat hidden and ambush the deer.

In any event, I won't discourage you to bow hunt, by suggesting you go " buy a rifle," unless you prefer to do so. To be a successful bow hunter, you need to have a LOT of patience, along with a heavy dose of determination. When successful, it will be all worth it. So, DON'T give up.
    Always EXPECT the UNEXPECTED!

Quote Originally Posted by whitespringer View Post
    Come on now.. We all would. A guy pops your deer and your not upset? If you look in the mirror I think you will sympathize with the guy not cut him down for "pouting"..
    I suppose I would, bad choice of words for tough luck... And yes I've been on the pouting side before many times over the years actually. This year too... Bugled in a bull to 50yds, and was unaware of the hunter that got between us... and BOOM! Someone elses dead Elk... So I know the feeling... Just keep trying and good luck will come and you'll get your Blacktail Buck with your bow... Good Luck.

Ive found bow hunting to be alot like fly fishing. Just being out there is satisfaction enough. Im just learning and find it so exciting tracking or coming across trails. after reading many many threads today i think i need to get to a higher elevation and maybe try some timber hunting. this year, next year, ten years, im sure ill stumble across a buck at some point but for now its just nice to be out there and sharing the values im learning as a hunter and have as a fisherman to my son. Just a quick question to a previous comment, with the sea to sky having a no shooting zone, does that include bows or am i to understand that i can shoot in that zone?

All the information you need regarding hunting the Sea to Sky is in the synopsis.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

That is very sound advice Mr Gatehouse. I would expect info like that from you to a bow hunter!