Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy rifle hunter in Squamish!

Crazy rifle hunter in Squamish!

This is m first year hunting, I have chosen to bow hunt. I have been putting in my time, practicing tracking and logging many miles. Yesterday was my 13th day out and finally after lots of planning waited on the edge of a cut where I had sen 4-5 trails coming in and had a buck in my sights. he was 250 yds away and was responding good to my calls. i had him at almost 60 yards, i have been shooting well but this would have been my first deer ever so i wanted to see if i could bring him in another 10. all of a sudden a shot rang out and from over my shoulder 100 or so yards back a hunter had stopped on the road, walked down a few steps and taken my buck. not that dissapointed in missing out but very disgusted at his lack of care for my safety. he claims he didnt see me however i guess he thought that my home made rattle bag and doe bleats were coming from the stump i was behind? without wanting to get in a heated argument i wrote down his plate number and started the long walk back to my truck. this was my first experience seeing another hunter out, i hope all encounters are not like this.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Crazy rifle hunter in Squamish!

That sucks!!! you put in the time and effort and he jumps out of his truck and takes your buck

Shitty times.......but maybe think about how/what the average hunter goes through when they see a buck...tunnel vision , fast breathing , excitement...he may not have heard you at all...My ears ring soo bad 100% of the time from a past hunter that almost shot my head off , I know I wouldnt have heard you at 100. You will get another crack at one , keep goin !

If you feel he put your life in danger report him ! How did he react when you confronted him ? Opolgetic , laughing what was said !

He brushed it off like no big deal, im not sure what the etiquette is so i didnt want to get to heated. do you guys know of a bow only are on the surrey delta border? i have heard rumor but no proof. would be nice to go after some pheasent aswel but also for deer.

You can do a couple of things:

only hunt in bow seasons
    Get away from the road
    buy a rifle
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post

only hunt in bow seasons
    Get away from the road
    buy a rifle
    I have to agree with Gatehouse. When I bowhunt in an open rifle area, I stay away from road or any place that would put in on your situation. Also, you did say that you were behind a stump. You could put up a sign on the road saying that a bowhunter was in the area, but I would just try to not create a situation
    "Target archery is seeing how far away you can get and still hit the bull's eye;
    Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get and never miss your mark."

"A man's got to know his limitations"

I'm still trying to arrow my first big game animal as well. The only lesson I've learned is to get to a spot where the hunters driving from the road won't interfere with your stalk. I know it's kinda tough to do that if your hunting cut blocks but try getting up behind some de activated roads ect. I've had the same thing happen to me where I was walking new areas to hunt managed get real close to bears and deer. 50 yards. When a guy drives up behind me and almost ran me over as all he could see was the bear. I was at full draw kneeling on the shoulder of the road next to some bushes at the time. Not sure what caused my blood presure to spike. Having the bear so close or having the other hunter say oops sorry as he said "I guess we"ll get out of your way" as he proceeded to drive the last 800 meters of the dead end road I was on!
    Lesson 1&2. - get off the road, but it's a free country however not his fault, still was a bummer.
    Last edited by allan; 11-23-2012 at 10:23 AM.

only hunt in bow seasons
    Get away from the road
    buy a rifle
    X2.... And if your hidden behind a stump, how was the hunter to know you were there... Can't always hear rattles and bleat calls too far off.. and maybe he thought it was deer making the noise... Just sounds like your pouting, for the missed opportunity... Keep at it, your opportunity will present itself..

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

only hunt in bow seasons
    Get away from the road
    buy a rifle
    Unfortunately, "only hunt in bow seasons" isn't a valid alternative anymore. Possibly wearing a non-reflective red vest might have alerted the rifleman that you were there, but there are so many #&%!+@*'s out there that would shoot even if they say you at full draw.