Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blacktail Jerky

Blacktail Jerky

This weekend I'm going to smoke some jerky in the Bradley smoker. Has anyone else here done this and does anyone have any opinions on brines or marinades or anything else? I'll be using hickory flavoured pucks.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Blacktail Jerky

I'm a big fan of the applewood for jerky

what kinda jerky u makin?? realy jerky or formed jerky?
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

Just made some this weekend too.

Went to london drugs and bought the premixed spices to make jerky. It will be with the food dehydrators or close to it. I like the hot and spicy one the best. And very easy to make.

[quote=3kills]what kinda jerky u makin?? realy jerky or formed jerky?[/q

I cut the roasts off a blacktail and ran it through a meat slicer about a quarter inch thick.

I use the pre packaged stuff as well...black pepper mix is really good.....applewood is AWESOME..I use alder and hickory as well...walmart has a good choice of spices and chips!! Has anyone used the jerkey "GUN" for ground meat?? I've been playing with the ground deer jerkey but it takes some effort to get it rolled and put on the racks...I use older window screen to help hold it in place!! Try adding some honey to your brine as well...very nice!!!

I find the jerky gun very easy to use

Marinades are simple to whip AND you can make it to suit your taste buds.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

My cousin used the High Mountain Jerky mix (Can Tire or Wal Mart)......mixed up the cure according to the weight of the meat....smoked it with 2 pans of apple chips over 6 hours and then left it for 4 more hours to dry up...time may differ as this was done in -5 temperatures in his shop..turned out fantastic...the smoker was the Little Chief version

I used the "Eastman Outdoors" original jerky mix from Wally World and made a about 4lbs. of dried jerky on the weekend. I added a little cayenne powder and some maple syrup and let it set for a day in the fridge. Then I did it in the oven at 200 degrees with the door cracked open for about 4 hours.

It tasted great while it lasted, cause my son left it on the kitchen table and my dog ate the whole works. I'm still mad at my dog and he knows what he's done and is avoiding even looking at me. My sons mad at himself cause he loves homemade jerky and he asked me to make it. John
    "If you see a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra