Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hixon Deer

Re: Hixon Deer

Quote Originally Posted by Sil3n2 View Post
    Were you guys set-up with a home made "cabin type frame"? If so saw your camp and the carcass. Yeah, all the tracks we saw were old, but the wolf tracks were newer, makes me think they got run off by the wolfs. Also saw two carcasses, both left behind but the antlers cut-off and no meat taken, except by the yotes and wolfs. Poachers or maybe someone stumbled on a wolf kill and took the antlers? Should that be reported?
    Next time take a closer look, you can almost always find clues of a bullet wound, that would give you some kind of idea of the fate of the animal.

We had a moose draw this year, were up there for a week in Sept and a week in Oct, saw almost no deer. We did see lots of wolves, got a shot at a couple of different packs but at long distance so none on the ground. We will not be going back there as the deer population is way down. 5 years ago we limited out, one morning I saw 13 deer (mostly does). This year in Sept we saw a total of 2 does the entire week. We will not be back.

Was out the mooney road Tuesday seen some does, a bull with 2 cows and a little bit of wolf sign but mostly just deer sign, roads were like skating rinks

I've been heading out that way pretty regularly since October 5th. Got my Muley out there but more down towards the river. Saw a nice bull, a couple does and a small 2 pointer, but not nearly as much as you would think with the amount of track I saw. Never ran into any wolves but I've heard them towards Chubb. Found, from the looks of it, a nice Muley that got ripped to shreds by wolves and a grizz. Ran into that hunting party with the log built cabin. Seemed like a good bunch of guys.

This area has been pounded the last couple of years with the doe season (now cancelled) and any buck through mid-november as a ton or Quesnel folks headed north (added to all the PG folks already hunting there) as they had no deer season at all at that time. It was worse than calf moose season, trucks cruising around everywhere shooting the first deer they spot. The fact it is close to Region 5 may still result in higher hunter #s despite the now cancelled doe season since it is still any buck through most of November when it is 4 point or closed in Region 5...wildlife management at it's finest...

Having said that, glad people think there are no deer down there anymore .

Quote Originally Posted by chilcotin hillbilly View Post
    Next time take a closer look, you can almost always find clues of a bullet wound, that would give you some kind of idea of the fate of the animal.
    I'll do that next time. We had a quick look, but didn't think to inspect it thoroughly.

Got my Muley out there but more down towards the river.
    You got lucky, there ARE no deer down by the river either!

Having said that, glad people think there are no deer down there anymore .
    That's right, there ARE no deer down there anymore.
    Place witty signature here.

jml11 nailed it for this area. Almost every hunter I know of in Quesnel will drive 30 minutes north to hunt 6 point elk, immature moose, calf moose, LEH moose, mule deer buck, whitetail buck and and a youth antlerless mule and whitetail. And then last season there was a antlerless mule deer season as well. And all with over the counter tags.

This use to be a hot spot, same as the Tako creek area. Add to the fact that the MPB helped open up the area even more, I would be suprised to find any wolves let alone game animals.

Sorry for the rant.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Yup the hunting up in the PG area is WAY DOWN!! Critters are scarce and the wolf tracks WAY UP!! I am planning on heading down to the south east end of the province for at least 2 trips next year just for whities and elk. Seems to be where the open seasons and animals are plentiful?! I figure I will give the PG a few years to recuperate, and I have hunted up here for 20 years!!! So north Okanagan/East Kootenay members, any suggestions for a new to the area hunter? PM's are welcome, I don't want your honey holes or anything just a starting point off of gravel?! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Quote Originally Posted by Downwind View Post
    This has to be the dumbest post on this site in a long time. And that is a saying a lot, considering the likes of guys lie Jeff (May his handle rest in peace). .
    I think you are sadly mistaken

Quote Originally Posted by duallie View Post
    how do you know it wasn't indians?
    why report something that may be legal?
    unless you saw someone, there's nothing that proves it was poaching.

You seem to know all the angles ...... From past experience??!!!!.......again how's that foot tasting