Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorized vehicle restrictions

Motorized vehicle restrictions

I see a lot of these off limits areas ,presumably to protect game from being exploited by increased access, or, protecting habitat from sensitive area being torn up.The latter I can understand since Yahoos with no consideration can tear up ground causing erosion.But I’m not so sure quads give a significant advantage to hunters,simply because deer quickly learn to stay off roads. We’ve had good success by just getting off the road and hiking back a short distance where the road and quads hunters see nothing. Quads are very useful for getting game out,which is really what I want,can’t throw a buck over my shoulders and hike out like I used to. I do admit enjoying the quiet of hunting in a no vehicle area,nothing more annoying than getting up early,hiking back only to be passed by some noisy off road motor bike.Those old Honda 110s were perfect for getting back in the bush ,not sure what replaced them,or whether we will see electric off road bikes in the near future.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Motorized vehicle restrictions

They already have electric off road atv's https://www.whatis180.com/best-elect...rain-vehicles/ and off road motorcycles. https://autowise.com/top-electric-dirt-bike-machines/ I think the issue is with tearing up the ground cover. And my klr 650 is pretty quiet overall. It is the 2 stroke dirt bikes that are generally noisy.

Be careful there. Motorized is motorized, there’s grey areas when it comes to electrics. It’s still a motor

To be honest, I have looked hard at some of the areas in the EK that have Vehicle restrictions etc.
    Sure, one could say it was to protect habitat, but back in it's inception, things like ATV's did not exist!

So, why the closures???
    In part to limit the amount of hunters in the back country, thus more game in the end, but that turned out to be BS, as that is not what has happened.

BUT, I looked at the areas in question a little harder this past season.
    I think the real reason some of theses areas became restricted was to make it harder for hunters to reach areas of good Goat and Sheep Populations, more than trying to protect MD, Moose or Elk.
    Instead of being able to drive up to the foot of a mtn and then begin your hike up, you may have to hike/pack up 20+km first before you can consider the hike up the mtn.

New restrictions, like in the 3-28, 3-29, and no use of ATV/ORV are legit, in the fact that the fires have created open ground and some ATV/ORV users have definitely displayed over the past 25 years that they cant just "stay on the road" etc.
    Unfortunate, but true.

May a good areas that one had to hike up to get to the honey holes have been lost due to ATV making trails and thus easy access into.
    If they would just stay on the roads, I have no issues, but some still choose to do whatever they want.
    So, now we see more closures and will continue to see their uses become more and more limited I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyHorseshoe View Post
    Be careful there. Motorized is motorized, there’s grey areas when it comes to electrics. It’s still a motor
    Yup...…………………………….electric is a motor.

To me it’s just a bias in favour of horses and restricting access ,the ordinary guy can’t afford to either own horses,or hire a packer

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    I see a lot of these off limits areas ,presumably to protect game from being exploited by increased access, or, protecting habitat from sensitive area being torn up.The latter I can understand since Yahoos with no consideration can tear up ground causing erosion.But I’m not so sure quads give a significant advantage to hunters,simply because deer quickly learn to stay off roads. We’ve had good success by just getting off the road and hiking back a short distance where the road and quads hunters see nothing. Quads are very useful for getting game out,which is really what I want,can’t throw a buck over my shoulders and hike out like I used to. I do admit enjoying the quiet of hunting in a no vehicle area,nothing more annoying than getting up early,hiking back only to be passed by some noisy off road motor bike.Those old Honda 110s were perfect for getting back in the bush ,not sure what replaced them,or whether we will see electric off road bikes in the near future.
    I started finally getting game after buying my atv. Huge advantage if you use your atv wisely. I use mine to get up to high alpine my truck won't fit and from there I hike in off the quad trails. It would take me 4 hours to hike to my spot that my atv can get to in 45 mins. You still need to get off and go for a hike. We keep ours on the trail. A few bad apples spoil the bunch for the rest of us.
    Last edited by Aaron600; 11-02-2019 at 06:03 PM.

many zones its great...in some zones its to make it easier for the guides..3-28-3-29 its needed aswell as numerous other zones..the animals need some quite areas...tie up the boots and grab your pack.

i would like to see more roads decomishioned.

Many motor vehicle restrctions have been initiated by GOABC members. Others were initiated by self interested rod and gun club members who selfishly want the places to themselves.

Places like the upper Elk Valley, Flathead, Quesnel Lake to name a few. Did I happen to mention upper elk valley???

Its to keep BC tax paying hunters out and to keep the clients of the guides happy.

Oh boy I could go on as this topic is near and dear to my old heart and pisses me right off. Many of us older hunters and new hunters cant go and enjoy the places any more. It also concentrates many hunters into smaller areas and the wildlife gets thumped.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperAurum View Post
    Many motor vehicle restrctions have been initiated by GOABC members. Others were initiated by self interested rod and gun club members who selfishly want the places to themselves.

Places like the upper Elk Valley, Flathead, Quesnel Lake to name a few. Did I happen to mention upper elk valley???

Its to keep BC tax paying hunters out and to keep the clients of the guides happy.

Oh boy I could go on as this topic is near and dear to my old heart and pisses me right off. Many of us older hunters and new hunters cant go and enjoy the places any more. It also concentrates many hunters into smaller areas and the wildlife gets thumped.
    That's my experience too. In 5-13 the guides had it closed when atv's were showing up in the mid 80's.

Now that area is LEH. If they have an allocation for moose tags, why do they need to limit atv's these days now that the gos is over?