Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Buck! Squamish Black-tail

First Buck! Squamish Black-tail

Hey guys, long time follower and first time poster...

Sorry for the bad joke:

Two hunters were dragging their dead deer back to their car. Another hunter approached pulling his along too.

"Hey, I don't want to tell you how to do something ... but I can tell you that it's much easier if you drag the deer in the other direction. Then the antlers won't dig into the ground."

After the third hunter left, the two decided to try it.

A little while later one hunter said to the other, "You know, that guy was right. This is a lot easier!"

"Yeah, but we're getting farther from the truck," the other added.

Got my first buck this weekend on a solo trip to Squamish. Not much of a story, but...

I had a groupon for the Best Western in Squamish and thought I would try one last trip before the end of the season. Rolled into town at about 10AM and headed straight for the hills. Was out for about 5 hours and didn't see anything. I was slowly making my way back towards town, decided to head up a trail just off the main FSR and saw a few Does as I rounded the corner about 3000ft up. I hopped out of the truck thinking that a buck can't be too far away. Sure enough, about 10 - 15 yards off the road; this guy was just standing there staring at me. I had enough time to go back to the truck for the rifle, line him up in the crosshairs and realized I didn't have my earplugs... Back to the truck (a few steps away) throw the foamies in and at this point he still hadn't moved. 1 shot from the .308 and he was down in about 5 seconds. Took me about an hour to gut him out (it was my first time by myself), then about 30 mins to drag him to the truck and load him up.

I was back in Abbottsford by dinner time and brought him into Sumas Meats early Sunday afternoon. Needless to say, I cancelled my hotel room and will use it another weekend.

Speedy

2. Site Sponsor

Re: First Buck! Squamish Black-tail

Nice bt buck!
    BIG GAME HUNTER

Nice BUCK good job

god damn....there would've been no earplugs for me....first buck.....i hate you....god damn..
    Last edited by kyleklassen; 11-19-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: need to add another god damn.
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

Nice buck, congrats!!
    They laughed at my boots, laughed at my jeans, laughed when they gave me amphetamines
    Left me alone in a mean part of town, 36 hrs to come back down...am I the last of my kind?

Nice buck from Squam.

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

Nice first timer.

Dude the earplugs bit killed me!! HAHA. honestly man you got yourself a PIG of a first deer. congrats big time! awesome job

Nice buck! I like the way the forks grew turned in like that.

thick neck on that warrior, congrats hunter
    Jelly Grilled Paninis