Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canning ducks!

Re: Canning ducks!

No need to add liquid unless you want to. I don't.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Mmmm sounds delicious, might just start hunting ducks & geese again ! I used to make pâté' & pies but it had a very short shelf life, canning sounds like the way to go !
    Good idea !

I like to brown first. Smoking sounds good too though I've never tried it.

If you raw pack there is no need to add water but if the meat is cooked it's recomended to add water. The cooked meat does not release enough water to cover the meat and the meat that is out of the liquid will turn to a nasty looking black colour during processing. If you want to thicken up the liquid you can put 1/2 teaspoon of minute rice per pint in the liquid. This will completely disolve during processing. Do not use flour.

Just follow the same procedure as with any other meat. Pint are processed for 75min and quarts for 90min. pressure depends on your altitude, 10psi for 0'-2000' and add 1psi per 1000' above that. Be sure to leave 1" headspace or you will have a higher chance of a bad seal.
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

had it, it was awesome...but i know nothing about how it was done.
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

Might be a nice thing to do with a bunch of duck & goose tenders.

so today i did some salmon and ducks for the first time...

I am not sure if i did it correct, i had a real tough time getting my weight to (gently wiggle).ALso having no experience didnt help. It would either do nothing or really JIGGLE. Once it started jiggling like crazy, i turned down the heat and it seemed the best i could do is get it to "really jiggle". every 30 seconds or so. So i tried to do that for 75mins but it was probably more like 100 mins.

I guess my questions are,

can you over cook it my using to high of temps? also can you over perssurize it? IF im not sure if it was done correctly, what should i do? The product looks decent and everything sealed properly. I want to try it, i just dont want to end up dead.

Lorne

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Better to over process than under-process.
    I think the primary concern is to process long enough to kill the botulism spore. Botulism may or may not be present. The higher temperatures associated with the 10lb.+ pressure along with the associated time is supposed to kill the spore.
    I have only processed fish in recent times and at higher elevations, so I like to overshoot the time and at higher pressure.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

You know, if you have doubts, destroy it! Start over.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I ask my mother. Her and my grandma use th can meat. They use to can duck meat. They add a thin slice of salt pork and a slice of onion with the duck meat.

Hi I've done goose legs and breasts and they turned out great,extra time is not a big deal and as long as they seal properly everything should be ok. Store without rings and discard anything that has a bulged lid or becomes unsealed as these symptoms show spoiledge