Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canning ducks!

Canning ducks!

anyone do this?

results?

Do's and dont?

I just bought a canner and im thinking i want to do up some ducks. Similar to vension.

Just looking to see if anyone else has done this with success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Canning ducks!

I couldn't think of a reason it would be bad. Try a couple out. Would be great to eat on a hike in trip. You know the ones where you're really hungry! Get so hungry you might even learn to love them!
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

When you say, "I just bought a canner", I presume you mean you just bought a pressure canner. I you didn't, then do not attempt to can any meat products until you do.
    I remember the folks and grandparents canning chicken, pork and beef and not to forget game. I do not recall ducks or geese. Not to sure how the fat content in those birds would play into the equation as those birds are faaattttyy.
    Nothing like home jarred meats!
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Yes i bought a pressure canner. And im not where you shoot your ducks and geese, but wild duck and goose breasts are about as lean as any meat can be.

Lorne
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Duck and goose breasts? That would be interesting. The question arises as to whether you would brown them in a pan with some seasoning and then cut them to size to fill a quart jar? Or just cut them and stuff them in the jar with some seasoning? The only thing certain will be the canner processing time.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

I haven't done any, but it sure sounds worth a try... let us know how it turns out Lorne!

Read a bit about it.

Seems there are a few trains of thought, ive read some guys put the breats in raw with some of your favourite barbq sauces. Comes out like pulled pork great on sandwiches.

I have read to put some beef broth in, with some onions and maybe a jalepeno.

I have read to smoke it for 2 hours then can it.

I have read to brown it first with seasons like you are saying jager, then can.

I think ill try them all this week!

Will post the results.

Done lots of ducks. The legs are excellent cannEd, breasts are good too. I usually just put in some salt and pepper, garlic and thyme. Delish.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Any liquid gate?