Thread: Wave On Wave This Morning

Wave On Wave This Morning

What a tremendous morning flight of ducks and geese I saw on the hunt this frosty morning.

Set out a few geese decoys at first light and took 3 mallards on three shots, two drakes and a hen. I then passed up on some other birds as I now waited for the geese I knew would be coming, shortly. Some mallards were dropping right into the decoys. Then the geese started coming in, wave on wave. Two flocks came right into my spread and I dropped 1 in each of the flocks that committed and missed one other bird, in the first flock.

Even thought the limit is 10 geese what I feel I could have taken if I wished I was satisfied with the 5 birds, the 2 fat geese and 3 ducks I had cleanly dropped. I then just emptied the shells from the scatter gun and just watched the numerous flocks settle into the corn to feed, chatting happily to each other. Even as I walked out to the Leaf Mobile with the heavy load of birds and decoys in the nap sack on my back, a flock just sat there as I walked by them. Many other flocks were dropping out of the morning blue sky to join the couple hundred birds now feeding on the corn cobs.

I guess a few years ago I would have stayed to take a limit but these days a few birds for the table is all I take, leave the birds for another day or someone else.
    Last edited by Chilliwack; 11-16-2012 at 06:20 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Wave On Wave This Morning

Well done!
    Last edited by Jelvis; Yesterday at 10:24 PM. Reason: ATTENTION: YOUR HONEY HOLE has been JEL ZEROED

" A boss is like a diaper, always on your ass and full of shit!"

Nice post and I agree that just the experience of watching the birds decoy is very satisfying.
    Why do the ducks come just after I pour my coffee?

You gotta love days like that. Taken what your happy with and can sit back and watch the show. It just dosn't get any better.

you are a great conservationist ,do you hunt with duallie?love the decoying birds!!

You a very noble guy chilliwack letting those birds go. I can't say they will get the same break when I'm in your neck of the woods tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Ps. Where are the pics?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    You a very noble guy chilliwack letting those birds go. I can't say they will get the same break when I'm in your neck of the woods tomorrow.
    Just have a new camera my wife bought me so did not want to subject it to the the muddy field, may just take the camera next time.

Let's hope the steelhead gods pay you back for for this act
    Last edited by Jelvis; Yesterday at 10:24 PM. Reason: ATTENTION: YOUR HONEY HOLE has been JEL ZEROED

" A boss is like a diaper, always on your ass and full of shit!"