Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blacktail of a lifetime!

Blacktail of a lifetime!

I work in the bush everyday and always have my rifle and pack so I can hunt the evenings. Friday afternoon I was working close to a hunting spot of mine that I have hunted for 4 years. I know exactly where the does hangout and 2 years ago I messed up on a cranker buck that has haunted me since. Since then I have hunted bobcats and deer there extremely hard and have not been able to connect but have learned a lot about this little area.
    The plan was to drive into my parking spot and go for a hike around the bedding grounds. As I round the switchback and my parking spot in sight I see a mature bodied deer trotting with his nose to the ground only 50 yard from the road. The body alone made me think shooter for sure. I stopped the truck got out and loaded a shell into my 35 Whelen. The buck is still moving and not noticing me. I burped at him and he stopped. BANG! Perfect shot the deer is down but still kicking all over. One more to put him out.
    in the scope I saw that he had a big rack. It looked like a giant three pointer. As I walked up to this deer he kept getting bigger and bigger and to my surprise he was a perfect 4x4. I have shot a few animals in my hunting career and even though he was a gimme deer next to the road I have never been so jacked in my life. Animals never come this easy for me especially ones of this calibre. I snapped a couple photos where he lay but I will have to post those up another day. I will post a couple iPhone photos and a bunch of photos that Bigboar took back at his place. I would like to thank Dave (Bigboar) for all his help Friday night. He took lots of great photos and also helped me cape and quarter the buck. Thanks again buddy. Your truly a great hunting partner.
    This buck was shot well within the blacktail boundary. The hide is already at Ray Wiens taxidermy awaiting a full body mount. So here are some pics of my dream blacktail. I hope you all enjoy the photos. More photos added on page 6

Last edited by Brew; 11-12-2012 at 12:51 PM. Reason: more photos on page 6

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Blacktail of a lifetime!

Beauty BT! What a rack!

WOW way to go.

Wow that is a pig. Let us know what it scores at, looks like it's got 115 in the bag. Congrats
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Nice buck. You better get the wet wipes out cause you are about to get spunked on by PG66.

Hog of a BT

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

Wow...thumper buck! Congrats!!!
    "If you want to hunt beasts you don't see every day,
    You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
    You have to go places no others can get to,
    You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too."
    - Dr. Seuss

That is a huge blacktail, good on ya!! what did he score?

He was definitely a warrior. His right ear is all torn up from fighting and he has a nice scar across his big donkey face.
    Last edited by Brew; 11-11-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Not sure about his measurements. We put the scull straight into the beetles to get cleaned up. I can't wait till those bugs are finished eating to put a tape on him.