Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Realising the hunting season of my dream: sheep, grizzly, elk, moose (heavy pics)

Re: Realising the hunting season of my dream: sheep, grizzly, elk, moose (heavy pics)

One camp neighbour told me earlier that this year was the worse hunting he experienced since he’s been hunting that area in October and the other moose hunters in the area were saying the same thing apparently. So I started to think where the bears should be in the area by habit a this time of the year. They had to be present but not very active. Generally most hunters prefer to stay close to main trails and mature bears would know such behaviour so I decided to go check a spot I discovered earlier in my hunt. That area appeared to have good features a mature bear would look for to stay safe while being close enough of some hunting activity.

My plan was to follow a marsh hoping to find a fresh grizzly track. After analysing my map I had an idea where to hike and after a few hours I found a fresh grizzly track of decent size. I followed it for a bit until I found a small opening in a good spot. I didn’t want to follow that track for too long since the bush was very dense and being alone I wasn’t comfortable to face a grizzly in such environment. I pulled out my small hunting chair and sat down overlooking the opening where I tough was the right place to be factoring the wind.

I was patient all day and stayed put without really moving with my rifle ready on my legs. Sunset was at 6:30 and I did my last moose calls at 5:45 to give enough time for a bear to move in. My plan was to start making my way back at 6:30 so I wouldn’t have to face a bear in the bush in the dark. Remember the footprints were fresh ones of the night or early morning so I knew a bear was in the area.

Just as I was about to put stuff in my backpack and to leave I heard something coming behind me cracking branches and it was moving at a fast pace. I turned my head and WOW all I could see was some big dark brown grizzly legs at 20 yards! Let me tell you the adrenaline rush kicked into high gear instantly and I was almost freaking out thinking "that’s not where I want to you come out"!!!!!!!!!!!!

At that moment I taught the grizzly was coming for me especially since he had the wind right in his nose. I had to analyse the situation extremely fast because he never stop moving. Finally I could tell he wasn’t looking at me but more in front of me in the opening, so I let him walk by at 20 yards. I certainly didn’t want to take him that close since I would only have those 20 yards of play if he charged after a good or bad shot.

I’m no expert in bears but I believe I have enough experience black bear hunting to recognise what a real mature black bear looks like and with my homework on identifying grizzlies done prior the hunt I knew he was a big mature boar the moment I completely saw him. He went down a small drop that was in front and at 75 yards away he was turning and sniffing around with his head held high. I believe this boar was in hunting mode for a calf moose. What a show to see that close, maybe too close, such a big and beautiful dark colour grizzly!!

My rifle followed him the moment I turned my head to check the branches noise, now at 75 yards I couldn’t support my left elbow on my knee for support for a shot. It was out of question to take him freehand so when he turned facing away I got up and reposition resting one knee on the ground. Now I was firmly steady and ready to take him and my mind was going 100 miles an hour, I didn’t want to make a mistake and loose him.

I adjusted my scope to 10x and everything was in place, now it was up to me. The rush was intense, my hearth was beating like never before and I was focused like I’ve never been too. He was quarter shot facing me with his head high up turned to his right and I had a great view of his front left shoulder. Since I was slightly higher than him I didn’t aim high but higher in the center of the shoulder so the bullet would cross downward first through the shoulder and into the vitals. Confident at that moment I fired a shot at him.

OH GOD WHAT A RUSH!!!!!!! He jumped, turned dancing and roaring then he came back running in my direction. From experience I could tell he had no clue what just happened to him and he was coming back in his tracks not for me. In no time he was at 20 yards again just bellow the small drop and I couldn’t find him in my scope, time to re adjust the scope at 3.5x. He had serious issues to walk and I could hear him filling up of blood, my 7mm Barnes 160gr TSX was a deadly one! I was following him behind some big spruce trees and as soon as I could take a second shot I fired in the shoulder blades/lungs. Again some bear noise and he started to run in his tracks to drop down almost where I saw him the first time!!!!!

I don’t need to explain that at that moment I was seriously freaking out and writing these lines I’m reliving the RUSH in my head!! I had some spare bullets ready on my backpack beside my spare magazine, I filled my rifle’s magazine while keeping a eye on him without any movement of his part. Finally I made my move to him with my rifle in my right hand and a small 5 foot dead tree in my left hand. At 10-12 feet I threw the log on his neck and at the same moment I was ready to fire with my two hands on the rifle. No movement WOW so I slowly move forward and touched his head with my rifle nothing again and again WOW WOW WOW WOW "Alright man your grizzly is really dead"!!!

I did the same thing from the opposite side just to make sure with the same result. Finally I approached to touch him somewhat still nervous. I have a huge respect for such an amazing animal and to harvest one and of this calibre provided me the most insane and intense moment of my life by far!!! What you guys need to understand too is everything appeared to be so fast but at the same time very slow, from the moment I saw him to the when he collapsed it must have passed a minute and a half max!! I don’t think I’ll ever relive such an intense rush again.

Finally I took some time to make a video and to take some pictures. I would have loved to take more pictures and of various angles but the spruce trees were so thick it was impossible and moving him was not an option since he’s a really big boar. I previewed my pictures and I was happy enough so I went to work as the night was setting in for good. First I kept a fire alive all night and snow started to fall heavily shortly after. I finished skinning him at about 2 am and the hike back to camp was brutal in the dark with a hide, head and paws still attached, that didn’t stay fix on the backpack.

A video right after I checked the bear. Yes I’m French but you can still understand how much emotions were going thru my mind.

Shoot straight or eat track soup.

Re: Realising the hunting season of my dream: sheep, grizzly, elk, moose (heavy pics)

October 11

Late morning again with 4 inches of fresh powder snow on the ground and it was still falling heavily. For breakfast some frozen peanut and all my water was frozen overall it was very shitty at that point and it didn’t look promising for the following days. So I decided to wrap up camp and head back home to take care of my two hides and the meat. My neighbour came for a chat, again he was very happy of my success and the same for me since he got his grizzly too. Amazing two grizzlies harvested the same day in the same big valley.

The drive back to Dawson was in a snow storm in the Rockies and the highway was icy for the rest.

October 12

I went for the inspection of my sheep and I’m very happy that I aged him correctly, I know some CI are not worth the crap apparently but it’s a 9.5 year old ram.

I underestimated how much work the hide of a fall grizzly bear involves. The skull is 15 1/16 long and 8 3/16 wide for a 23 1/4 B&C. Finally my grizzly is much bigger than I anticipated 8’5 claw to claw and 7’9 nose to tail for an average that just break the 8’ mark. When the light shines properly on the hair around the shoulders and the back the tip of the hair is a beautiful light gold colour. I plan to make a full mount out of him, he’s an exceptional interior grizzly that deserves to be displayed properly and since that bear is THE HUNT OF MY LIFE for the quantity and intensity of the emotions he provided me I’ll spend the money for such a mount.

I would like to get him done the way he was when I took my first shot at him. Here are two pictures I found of what I have in mind so far, if anyone has any suggestion of any kind I’d be more than happy to see them. He certainly looks similar the last one but he’s even darker.

Well that completes the story of my hunting season so far. This October hunt is the hunting trip of my life!! I’m kind of hunted out now since I spent all my time off hunting since August. I dreamed of doing such a hunting season for a long time and I’m kind of sad I only have 7 days of deer hunting left this year.

What does 2013 reserve?? I hope as much fun and great souvenirs with the good and tough moments, and I hope find the ram of my dreams!!

I hope everyone enjoyed the story and the pictures.

I have to finish my story to say thank you to everyone I contacted, from this forum or other sources, this year and over the last few years. I had no clue what I was jumping into and how much there is to know when it comes to sheep hunting and hunting in the Rockies. All I had was a dream to pursue and I’m happy I moved out west twice, Alberta first and now I BC which I’ll call home now!!!! You know who you are and this trip would have never been successful without the guidelines, info, the how to sheep hunt and such combined with the experience I gain in my previous backpacking trips. Thanks a lot guys!!!!

For my grizzly hunt I have to say a special thank you to Steven, aka Srupp, for sharing his experience and his kind knowledge on grizzly bear behaviour, how to identify boars over sows, how to truly judge the size of a grizzly, hunting techniques etc. Thanks bud for taking the time to answer my questions this summer, your advices were very useful in finding grizzly tracks and also to harvest one.

Thanks for reading and best of luck to everyone in the mountains in 2013.

Here’s some video of the sheep at Cadomin I forgot to add.

Last edited by Call of the Wild; 11-11-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Only one word.....Wow......

Absolutely fantastic. I personally hunt for the adventure of it, and consider the harvest a bonus. Your story is excellent and all the pics add volumes to it. You deserve a standing slow clap to get a sheep and grizzly like that in the same hunt, solo, in lousy conditions.
    I've heard many a hunt called epic, but that sir was an epic hunt of the first degree.

Thank you
    Thank you
    Thank you

YA HOO
    Way to go Mik I was waiting for this. Congratulations on a couple great trophies and your thread was fun to read and view. It was good to hear that you felt the moose call worked for the bear. I have called in more than a few over the years while trying for moose. It is always worth a try, and sometimes you get a moose to come in as well. lol. Great call on the ram it looks like a nice one to count. I was wondering what the base and length measurements were if you don't mind. PM me next time your up this way and we will grab a coffee. Are you dealing with the same taxi who did your black bears.
    Mike
    I like to walk until I am exhausted ...... Then I turn around and go back

Im sitting here at, awe! what an amazing season you had! and solo at that! AND in October!
    I couldent understand a word in your bear video LOL, but i could tell by your expretion and excitment what the feeling must have felt like. Not many people can say they accomplished what you did on this hunt solo.
    That bear has an amazing coat, love the color!! Out of thoes two mounts, i like the second one, but thats just me.

My hats off to you Mr.call of the Wild!!!! cheers!

One of the best epic threads ever posted on HBC....

You are going to have a hard time to outdo yourself on this hunting season...
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main