Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Realising the hunting season of my dream: sheep, grizzly, elk, moose (heavy pics)

Re: Realising the hunting season of my dream: sheep, grizzly, elk, moose (heavy pics)

Shoot straight or eat track soup.

Re: Realising the hunting season of my dream: sheep, grizzly, elk, moose (heavy pics)

Some cow and bull elk

Here’s the natural lick as I found it. The lick was very active with a lot of activity, I suspect some animals travel quite far to the lick.

Elk were very active at the lick, especially the cows

No monster but the best known bull elk. I was hunting in that area at that time and never had a chance to see him.

The moose came for their share of salt too

As you can all see I found a nice spot where moose and elk are very active. It no blind luck since I scouted intensively, worked hard and invested a lot of time to maintain my salt station and to figure out the land. I had high hopes of connecting on a good bull elk or moose and decided to set the bar quite high for the challenge. Hunting pressure is a big factor anywhere you hunt and the wildlife adapt very quickly.

There was hunting pressure in the area and it was very obvious within the first few days of September. Combining the pressure to hot weather and very strong winds the activity slowed down drastically. One particular night I went over looking a valley well over an hour after it was dark to check the night activity. Nothing was calling and answered to my cow calls or bugles!!! I can’t complain since early in the season I passed up a 5x5.

I had to go to Edmonton and took two days off hunting since it was very slow and tough to find any game. While down there I went the Cadomin mine with a good friend who never seen the Rockies yet to check out the bighorn sheep. What an amazing place to see sheep!!! The day I decide to hunt bighorns I’ll spend a lot of time there to study bighorn horns, I’m still amazed how un spooky they are to human activity.