Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Moose Measles

Re: Moose Measles

If these cysts are deep in the muscle and you cut a steak and cook it medium-rare or rare - is that going to be enough? Im sure cooking well-done would kill anything, but who wants to eat a game steak cooked to well-done?

Quote Originally Posted by ajr5406 View Post
    If these cysts are deep in the muscle and you cut a steak and cook it medium-rare or rare - is that going to be enough? Im sure cooking well-done would kill anything, but who wants to eat a game steak cooked to well-done?
    Have always eaten rare/medium rare....my Dad prefers a bit more medium but ya, no problem if a human ingests them. As noted in his reply...."if you don't want the meat, give it to him and he'll eat it".

Gone Fishin....have asked about freezing. Will post up when he gets back to me.

Well that was quick...he's obviously sitting at his computer. I guess you can take his reply for what it is.....basically they've never really tested it. May not be too bad for the bones as I imagine they'll be picked pretty clean. May just want to roast them in the oven so they keep the flavour for your pooch instead of boiling which kind of takes a lot out of them?

we do not know for sure - likely it will but some may not. It might depend on length of timeit is frozen.Frankly, I would not takea
    chance - why take the risk is the simplequestion.
    Last edited by MB_Boy; 01-09-2017 at 10:46 AM.

guest Guest

Measles ........ Really ?

Next thing we'll know, Big Buckys got the clap.

Outdoor Canada says:

"The good news is these larvae cannot infect humans, even if eaten raw. While unsightly, they’re killed by freezing or cooking the meat, and have no discernible impact on the flavour. Grinding infected meat into hamburger or sausages is a common method for dealing with aesthetic concerns."

ἀλήθεια

Make like a baby and head out!

Quote Originally Posted by Asco View Post
    Outdoor Canada says:

"The good news is these larvae cannot infect humans, even if eaten raw. While unsightly, they’re killed by freezing or cooking the meat, and have no discernible impact on the flavour. Grinding infected meat into hamburger or sausages is a common method for dealing with aesthetic concerns."

As noted they won't do anything to humans, just dogs you want to be concerned about. I don't doubt that a good lengthy COLD freezing will kill them but for the time it takes to cook some scraps for the dogs, I'd just as soon be safe.