Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moose Measles

Re: Moose Measles

Shoot I don't have my laptop, can I email to video and pic to someone with photo bucket handy!? Or text message if easiest
    Last edited by Backwoods; 01-07-2017 at 12:46 PM.

From what I was told it's tap worm larva from wolf poop from them eating raw moose, then the moose eats the grass that grew from the poop sorta thing, the worm eggs incubate in the muscle groups in moose. But cannot fully develop

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
    From what I was told it's tap worm larva from wolf poop from them eating raw moose, then the moose eats the grass that grew from the poop sorta thing, the worm eggs incubate in the muscle groups in moose. But cannot fully develop
    Knowing what I have grown up and listened to....and seen.....I am pretty sure you're right. I have a "recreational doctorate due to family association" in parasitology.

Here are Backwoods pic and video....when my Dad send a 'diagnosis' I'll post up. Bit better size reference in the video. (sorry, P-Bucket and this vid are proving to be a pain in the ass; just loaded it to YouTube...let me know if you guys can see it)?)

On a side note......HOLY MOOSE MEASLES is Photobucket a load of slow garbage website these days!!! I think the first ever dial up connection performed faster than that site.

Last edited by MB_Boy; 01-07-2017 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks for posting!!! They call it the YUK factor lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by Backwoods View Post
    Thanks for posting!!! They call it the YUK factor lol!!
    You can see the YouTube video okay?

Okay....will try and shorten up the essay that was sent.

Anyone who has eaten moose which come from areas where there are wolves will have eaten them. They are a tapeworm larvae and the scientific name is Taenia krabbei ormore commonly known as muscle measles. I have found the larvae in the tongue, heart and muscle and in some cases as many as 4 per square inch.

Once cooked no issue other than one is eating a parasite- more protein!!!! No evidence if meat eaten raw that they will develop in humans.

Now remember that gov't only gives one licence to hunt and take an animal (this is in MB - ), they do not guarantee that it will be disease/parasite free. I have told literally dozens of people if they do not want it to give to me as I will eat it.Not nice to cook a steak and have these little guys looking up at you but they will do you no harm!!! **my edit...this is coming from a guy who is squeamish about eating sushi but has no issue with jellied moose nose.

When a wolf kills a moose and consumes these larvae they develop into adult tapeworms in the wolf and the adult worms will start passing eggs that the wolves will pass, which get on vegetation and when moose pick up eggs they hatch in the gut and migrate to all the tissues. So, no issue with cooking them and eating.

DO NOT FEED UNCOOKED MEAT OR BONES TO YOUR DOG AS DOGS ACT THESAME WAY IN THE LIFE CYCLE AS WOLVES. ONE WILL THE HAVE TO TAKETHE DOG TO THE VET FORANITHELMINTHICS SUCH AS IVERMECTIN TO CLEAN THEM OUT ANDTHIS COSTS $$$$. You have heard me say this hundreds of times!!

I have found these larvae in elk and caribou but not deer as most deer taken in MB come from wolf free areas generally speaking and I have not searched deer for them.

I just noticed that last post saying they haven't found them in Deer. I shot a buck near Lilloet this year and had these in the meat. Only the one deer out of the two we shot had them.

Quote Originally Posted by Caribou_lou View Post
    I just noticed that last post saying they haven't found them in Deer. I shot a buck near Lilloet this year and had these in the meat. Only the one deer out of the two we shot had them.
    Deer in Manitoba and as noted largely as he hasn't looked for them as part of a study. Dispersal of ungulate populations differ somewhat from BC but I can tell you in MB with MANY whitetails harvested we've never seen them but have in moose.

Thanks for posting the photo. Looks exactly same colour/ size found in my moose heart. I ate it all anyway so no pics.
    ἀλήθεια

Make like a baby and head out!

Does freezing the meat do anything to them? I feed my dog part raw diet and have a wack load of small frozen packages for her from my moose this year which had these throughout the meat, picked out everyone I could find. This makes sense why she got worms a month back, noticed it in her stool. Quick vet trip and problem solved but not something I want to her to get again.

Rather then cooking it (which I will if needed for her) does freezing for a certain timeframe kill these buggers or should I be cooking it from now on, I also have a Rubbermaid full of frozen moose bones that I cut into small pcs. Should these be tossed or...

Thanks for help,