Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When is a waterfowler considered great?

Re: When is a waterfowler considered great?

It's when he has more fun taking people out supplying all the gear setting up the Deeks ,doing all the calling , asking for permission , then doing it all over again tomorrow , with a friends friend

In my eyes the the great Waterfowler is letting the new hunters shoot first, showing em how is done....setting up decoys, basic calling, explaining the safely rules, I.D the ducks, respect and getting the newbie to fetch (pick up) the ducks. LOL

I would think someone that plays by the rules, has a good base of knowledge of ducks, calls, environment. One that knows his limitations of shot range and is willing to go the extra mile to recover a poorly hit bird. One that encourages others and is willing to take out newbies and get them into birds before himself. I don't think it has to be a prerequisite to have a dog but I think a dog is as important as a good reliable gun . Having swam for downed ducks and seen many retrieves that would not have been possible without one somehow a dog fits into the equation but above all is someone that has fun even if no birds hit the dirt.

Having permission in a hot field and putting down a limit every night does not make you a great water fowler. It just makes for a great time.

Also have to agree with STU below me. Donating time and money to the cause would complete my list of a great water fowler .
    Last edited by yamadirt 426; 11-03-2012 at 08:27 PM.

Maybe he's a good shot, gets limits on a regular basis, helps out novice hunters, contributes financially to conservation but..... he never posts pictures and brags about the limits he's getting at his "secret spot", puts down other people that are green at the sport and sometimes make mistakes, never skybusts... spoiling it for others. In other words its not the end result, but its how you get there that counts....STU
    Keep your friends close but your enemies closer.

This is a really interesting thread

Can you ground swat and still be considered a great waterfowler?

Lorne
    Last edited by lorneparker1; 11-03-2012 at 08:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

When you can average 28 birds to a box of shells. The ones you miss you can make up with doubles or triples.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    This is a really interesting thread

Can you ground swat and still be considered a great waterfowler?

Lorne
    I think it would be mandatory to have the ability and will to ground swat to be a great waterfowler.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

i got some bands you might be interested in.... ever hear of Jack Miner?

[QUOTE=cbb;1229922]i got some bands you might be interested in.... ever hear of Jack Miner?[/QUOTE]

Now that is Very Cool
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by cbb View Post
    i got some bands you might be interested in.... ever hear of Jack Miner?
    Well now you have to post pics!
    "There's a thin line between a mallard hen's quack and a human's fart. The only difference is cadence and odour" - Jase Robertson