Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duck migration question

Pin Tail question

I'm a noob when it comes to certain ducks, especially Pin Tail. I hunt the Ladner area a fair bit, but also hunt a piece of land in Agazzi that's on the Fraser. Is there a chance I could bag a Pin Tail in these spots or do they prefer other areas? Also what is the best time to go after them.
    Thanks
    Last edited by limit time; 11-07-2012 at 05:13 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Duck migration question

Over here we get huge numbers of sprigs in both the marsh and the estuary our best time for pinnies is dec. on

"BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Over here we get huge numbers of sprigs in both the marsh and the estuary our best time for pinnies is dec. on

Thanks! And that's a beautiful mount! Exactly what I want. Who did the work? Oh..and what does a Pin tast like?

Ladner Agazzi or any were in between. I've seen and shot Pintails through out the season but probably have seen more in the later season, Dec. and Jan.

be patient they will come!

Boundary Bay was thick with Pintails a couple of weeks ago and then everything vanished for a few days about a week ago. Seeing a few more ducks now but can't tell at a distance what they are - could be more wigeons, like the one I shot this afternoon and ate tonight......

Pinnies are great eating they are a total vegan so no fishy taste.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Lots of pintails or spingers where I am hunting all time. A mature drake is beautiful duck.
    "Nothing kills a Deere faster than Magnum .....CaseIH."

What's the best time of day and way ( set) up to hunt them?

I have shot pinnies at all times the drake in the ount pic was about 1 pm I remember this cuz it was the last duck of that shoot we had just steped out of the blind to pack up when he buzed the deeks. but really we usually hunt from legal light to when we have to quit for what ever reason. That on was taken over a complete mallard set but when we shoot the flooded fields we use a mixed set so just go and have fun if the duck gods smile they will come.
    "BORN TO HUNT"