Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When is a waterfowler considered great?

When is a waterfowler considered great?

I was thinking today about how amateur and new a waterfowler I am in the scheme of things. (This is my third season, and I'm trying to take it more serious) Occasionally we will limit out, but not consistently, based on many different factors. This got me thinking. Who do you consider a great waterfowler and why are they great? When can one consider themselves accomplished?

Maybe they never miss a shot?

Maybe they know about hunting all the different seasons and vary their strategy greatly over the course of the year?

Maybe they have killed all the different varieties of birds in the province?

Maybe they don't use a mojo?

Maybe they make all their own decoys?

Maybe they can identify all the birds in the air and select specific ducks for taking on the wing?

Maybe they bow hunt only for them?

So again, my question is -

Who do you consider a great waterfowler and WHY are they great?
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

2. Site Sponsor

Re: When is a waterfowler considered great?

A great waterfowler is not necessarily the guy that limits out every time he ventures into the field. I my opinion he's the guy that goes out and shoots a few ducks and appreciates what Mother Nature has put out there for us. He can call ducks and geese but don't ever kid yourself, if some guy tells you he never misses he's an outright liar. It's great to try take the sport seriously, but don't ever let the fun go out of what you are doing.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!

You're not great til you have mass-produced at least 3 duck calls a 3 Goose calls, have minimum of 6 DVD's on store shelves across N. America and your own brand of camo hat....

AND have been tried and JUDGED by your peers, thus leading to a conviction as a Poacher.
    Sometimes its best to stay small and off the radar.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

A person could be considered a great waterfowler if three main goals are accomplished:

1. The person has fun waterfowling.

2. Some reasonable attempt is made to legally, safely, and ethically shoot waterfowl.

3. The person takes as much, or more than they brought, in regards to garbage.
    Pretend hunter.

your putting to much thought into it,just go have some fun and laughs!!!

The guy that knows when and where. How to call and decoy birds.
    He goes home at the end of a rain soaked day after bagging a few birds.
    As he warms up by the wood stove he can look down at his dog and say hey boy that was a great day lets do it again next week.

I love the nostaligia answers but heres my take,

A great waterfowler, will consitently put birds to bed regardless of any of the outside factors such as:
    Too sunny, not enough wind, too much pressure, East coast, west coast, Divers, sea ducks, Lards, lessers, specks, snows, flooded timber, winter wheat. disced corn, silage barely, etc etc etc.

The fella/madame that can adapt makes a great waterfowler IMO

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Quote Originally Posted by lorneparker1 View Post
    I love the nostaligia answers but heres my take,

A great waterfowler, will consitently put birds to bed regardless of any of the outside factors such as:
    Too sunny, not enough wind, too much pressure, East coast, west coast, Divers, sea ducks, Lards, lessers, specks, snows, flooded timber, winter wheat. disced corn, silage barely, etc etc etc.

The fella/madame that can adapt makes a great waterfowler IMO

Lorne
    this is pretty much where my line of thinking is. I will expand upon this by adding, will take out either new or non hunters and show them the sport. He/she will pass on what they know to jr/newb fowlers, while out with them they will put them onto birds and bat clean up for them. They will enjoy the comradery of his/her fellow fowlers.

and............................................... ......................
    they will yell GEEEEESSSEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at the top of their lil hobbit lungs to make sure the guys with them know there are geese coming

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_Farmer View Post
    Yeah but your opinions wrong, so everyone here had to let you know that. Have a nice day.

When they get their own show!

...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

when you can buy a new shotgun boat and decks every year without your wife careing or finding out