Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st Pheasant - how to cook????

Re: 1st Pheasant - how to cook????

Do the birds released by associated wear name tags?? lol?

They are banded in Alberta. We dont hunt them here, as stated the coyotes and ferral cats are hard enough on them, no disrespect intended toward those who do, we do love them for training how ever.
    "Live Like You Were Dying" Because you are.

Lie down now, Lie down FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by FirePower View Post
    They are banded in Alberta. We dont hunt them here, as stated the coyotes and ferral cats are hard enough on them, no disrespect intended toward those who do, we do love them for training how ever.
    Thank you for this FirePower - I had no idea about Associated Land and/or birds - tried to get a previous poster who raised the issue to give me a bit more info since I wasn't aware of what he was talking about, but ignored my post asking this and a PM I sent asking the question in case he was more comfortable answering "off-line"- he got the info he was looking for from me and then buggered off - thanks for his thoughtful, meaningful contributions to this thread........

For those of you who actually added to the conversation - many thanks. That's was this board is here for........

For the record - the bird I dropped was bandless - a fairly mature cock, based on the prominant spurs.

Is that an attempt to call me out?

Quote Originally Posted by pnbrock View Post
    Is that an attempt to call me out?
    Taken "off-line", where it belongs........

Watch out, if you cook them too much, just like any grouse type bird they will dry right out. If you have never had one maybe just cut it into strips and fry it in some light seasoning. Just so you can get the full flavor of what they are like. If you stuff it in the oven i like to roll up bacon then tooth pick it to the breast and cook covered.. i call that "Auto basting". I have only had a couple phesant but i have cooked a bucket load of grouse.... same cooking instructions apply....

personally id go pan fry with light seasoning to get the full flavor of the bird.

[
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

Nope, all I'm saying is how would you know if it was wild or released?

Quote Originally Posted by xfactor View Post
    Nope, all I'm saying is how would you know if it was wild or released?
    When I belonged to Local Hunters Club, they put a leg band on their birds. That club is a preserve, they can hunt pheasants as late as march I believe. In general, "wild" birds have mature looking plumage. Associated releases birds during the pheasant season, any birds that survive until the next season will be "wild" looking birds when encountered.
    Nice going on finding a pheasant out there, wild or released it's tough to find them on public land. And once released birds get off private land they are fair game. I haven't shot one off a preserve in over a decade!
    Dan
    Buddi doing what she does best!

Gotcha. Thanks, leg band makes sense