Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1st Pheasant - how to cook????

Re: 1st Pheasant - how to cook????

Back to the subject of cooking...........

I think the Italian's know the most about about wild game cooking when it comes to cusinue. I bought (at an expense a couple of books by the the River Cafe. (English chef's, with a modern take on Italian recipes.)

It is simply the best for any form of game, and I would recommend them without reservation.

Search the internet for cheap versions, they have been out for 6=8 years now, so should be heavily discounted if you look around.

Worth it. It transformed my cooking of all game.

Candocad.

Any pheasant on crown land is fair game shoot it.

I have taken many pheasant over the years hard to tell the diff from wild or farmed birds not many wild birds around the Fraser valley anyways.

How long will you be hanging it? Remember that in the current season 7 days will be the same as 1-2 days of temperate weather. Personally, a week in the shed is the longest I'd go but i've known guy that wait til its green before cooking

Lol, never mind...just saw how long ago you posted....guwssing its long eaten now

I have shot many pheasant over the years and my favourite way of cooking them is to pluck them and roast them whole. Cook low and slow to keep moist and flavour with a bit of pepper. You can also use Rosemary, Thyme or Sage if you want...add salt after cooked so you don't draw out all the juices. If you skin the bird (makes a great cape for decoration or fly tying) then add a few strips of bacon on top to keep it moist. Smoke cooking works well too.

Wrap with bacon strips,salt and pepper, cover with foil, in oven at 350 for 1 hour.