Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: has anyone ever ......................

bone-collector Guest

has anyone ever ......................

chopped up a good knife to suit there liking or needs?

I just recieved a old timer #1580T I did a trade for, low and behold it has a guthook on it...well seeing i realy like the curviture of the blade but have been known to despise gut hooks I dug out the dremmel and felt pens , now its a fine straight curved blade with an actual point on it ...just curious if its just me or do you guys modify things to your needs and wants for hunting ?

2. Site Sponsor

i got a new knife last year for xmas and it has a gut hook on it and i dont know if i am giong to like it or not and was deciding to on grinding that hook off...but dont know if i wanna as it is a brand new knife...
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

bone-collector Guest
    I found them a pain in my butt but thats me, some guys swear by them, I am not gutting a moose to look cute or win a prize I want the guts out now and be gone with it

well thats how i feel about it too...my big worry is when cutting around the ass is it going to snag on grab or what???!!!
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

Had a Gerber gator, (found it at work) and liked it and all except for the half serated half non serated. real bitch to sharpen so I just got the guy who does knives in town to remove the serated half so it was all "normal" and I was able to sharpen it!!
    Canadian Outdoorsman: Big Bore Levergun Lover.

thats something like i got its a gerber something not serated though...

Re: has anyone ever ......................

Make it how you want it, I think the only thing I hunt with that I haven't customized in someways is my dads gear, and most of that has been changed too.

Kirby
    Huuked on foniks wurked fur me

Quote Originally Posted by StoneChaser
    Biggest problem with a debate on ethics is the simple fact that ethics are like underwear...everybody has 'em, but some are a little shittier than others

I find the gut hooks work great for skinning but not for gutting.I've got one of those game skinners with a gut hook on it. As for gutting I just use my old buck 110 and an EZE lap diamond stone. It's the wining combo!
    Expect nothing, and you won't be disappointed

I have an Oldtimer guthook and it`s great for doing the legs and opening up the belly.Iv`e used it for years,just use a chainsaw file to sharpen the hook,I`d buy another for sure.
    Scars Are like Tattoos but With Better Stories

Unfortunately Shrade,the maker of the Oldtimer knives has been recently sold and from what I have heard they are no longer available. Too bad, they made good knives. I had an 8OT that I broke the blade pin on after years of rough use. I sent it back to be repaired and they sent me a new knife no charge.

Gord
    Last edited by Farmer; 02-04-2005 at 04:10 PM. Reason: spelling