Do you want to help support HBC? You can contribute through e-transfer to marc@huntingbc.ca or via PayPal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog vests

Dog vests

Riding out from my sheep hunt this year required several river crossings (ice cold) and it was only about 2 degrees celsius and sleeting. My dog got very cold towards the end of the ride, and was visibly uncomfortable. I am wondering what would be the best type of vest for long hikes that require periodic submersion in water followed by long periods of on-trail?

Thanks!
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dog vests

A dog box on the quad, not too big, just big enough for him to turn around inside. Make sure the box has adequate ventilation! Lots of clean dry hay [ change it out when it is damp ] inside and maybe a vest to wear in the box as well. I made mine from goretex and fleece, [ yes, I can sew ] but they can be bought online of from a dog specialty shop. Have food on hand and give a little bit during the hunt / hike / day......enough to keep his metabolism ticking. Dogs can get hypothermia, just the same as us.
    Last edited by Spokerider; 10-25-2012 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokerider View Post
    A dog box on the quad, not too big, just big enough for him to turn around inside. Make sure the box has adequate ventilation! Lots of clean dry hay [ change it out when it is damp ] inside and maybe a vest to wear in the box as well. I made mine from goretex and fleece, [ yes, I can sew ] but they can be bought online of from a dog specialty shop. Have food on hand and give a little bit during the hunt / hike / day......enough to keep his metabolism ticking. Dogs can get hypothermia, just the same as us.
    I should clarify, I was riding a horse, not a quad.
    I won't always be young, but I can be immature forever

Not sure about long hikes but my gundogs all wear the neoprine vests all day when waterfowlong and show no rubbing or discumfort

"BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Check out the Rivers West waterproof fleece vest. After years of using a neoprene vest for my G.S.P., I made the switch to the RW vest. This seems to keep her warmer while wet and she seems to have better mobility than the neoprene vests. It also has a small amount of built-in flotation. I'm not sure if it's just a short-hair phenomenon, but the neoprene would give her some pretty good rub spots on her belly even after trimming, if she was in the vest for a full day. The RW vests are much softer and don't seem to rub at all. I will say the neoprene vests are virtually bulletproof when your dog insists on tearing through the willows at 100 mph with no regard for their own well-being!

Quote Originally Posted by akyne View Post
    Check out the Rivers West waterproof fleece vest. After years of using a neoprene vest for my G.S.P., I made the switch to the RW vest. This seems to keep her warmer while wet and she seems to have better mobility than the neoprene vests. It also has a small amount of built-in flotation. I'm not sure if it's just a short-hair phenomenon, but the neoprene would give her some pretty good rub spots on her belly even after trimming, if she was in the vest for a full day. The RW vests are much softer and don't seem to rub at all. I will say the neoprene vests are virtually bulletproof when your dog insists on tearing through the willows at 100 mph with no regard for their own well-being!
    Does the RW vest come in Camo ?
    BCWF
    CCFR

“I prefer the saddle to the streetcar and star sprinkled sky to a roof, the obscure and difficult trail, leading into the unknown, to any paved highway, and the deep peace of the wild to the discontent bred by cities…it is enough that I am surrounded by beauty.”
    - Everett Ruess

I use the cabela's neoprene vest. It works well, but the largest size is a little small on my 120 lb dog. The good park about it is you can cut it to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by 325 View Post
    Riding out from my sheep hunt this year required several river crossings (ice cold) and it was only about 2 degrees celsius and sleeting. My dog got very cold towards the end of the ride, and was visibly uncomfortable. I am wondering what would be the best type of vest for long hikes that require periodic submersion in water followed by long periods of on-trail?

Thanks!
    Don't know what kind of dog you have but will your dog let you put him in front of you on the horse?

I've had one of my dogs with mild hypotermia....There are LOTS of cases of dogs dying from hypothermia.

Be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasomor View Post
    Don't know what kind of dog you have but will your dog let you put him in front of you on the horse?

I've had one of my dogs with mild hypotermia....There are LOTS of cases of dogs dying from hypothermia.

Be careful.
    Never though but actually Kas has an extreemly good point, when I was cowboying we had cowdogs that were trained to ride "up front" horses didnt mind and the dogs caught on quick if you try it get a sheepskin with a horn hole and a couple of straps to hook to your cincha D the dog can get traction and it saves the saddle.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Rivers West Waterproof Fleece vest ...
    Last edited by BigSlapper; 10-25-2012 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Broken link
    VDD GROUP CANADA
    BCWF
    BIGSLAPPER OUTDOOR ADVENTURES est. 1963
    www.bigslapper.com

Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Odds are you're probably not going to get a sheep anyways. So you want to at least enjoy your time on the mountain. But not sexually.