Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'gutless skinning' for ducks

'gutless skinning' for ducks

just got bunch of kwackies.. mallards,,,do uoy take anyhing else than brest and the legs ..for my opinion anything else is more -less
    waste of time..just open brest area take legs... no messy opening of belly..
    so kind of like gutless field dressing for kwacki fast... done at home so no need worry about co

2. Site Sponsor

Re: 'gutless skinning' for ducks

I sometimes take the hearts. Just pull up the breast plate and grab it and just cut off the top 1/8th where the valves are. Todd a few dozen in the pan with some onions. Pretty tasty.

Most of the time they are so mangled though from ground swatting them at 10 yards we just leave them in the fields as fertilizer

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Duck and goose liver is worth saving, it's delish. Although I mostly deal with our domestic birds, but I'm sure the wild livers are good, too.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I just skin the whole bird and gut it....mallards make great soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Duck and goose liver is worth saving, it's delish. Although I mostly deal with our domestic birds, but I'm sure the wild livers are good, too.
    THey are pretty small in wild birds, what do you do with it?

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

Make creamy pate, saute them like foie gras and serve on garlic toast, toss with garlic and parsley and grill on a skewer...You know...Bird liver stuff.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by nuadixion View Post
    I just skin the whole bird and gut it....mallards make great soup.

Is there some trick for very quick skinning of ducks? We usually pluck them, which is nice to keep the skin, but sometimes it would be nice to quickly skin them,too.

A quick and clean way I use... pluck a strip from the V of the breast to the vent about an inch wide, cut thru the skin along the keel bone and skin both sides enough to get a good grip to pull on. Pull the skin and feathers back to the armpits and cut out the breast meat and pull the legs out. The skin is much easier to pull back once the bird has cooled off overnight. Works well for me but I do like to keep a few late season greenheads for roasters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Is there some trick for very quick skinning of ducks? We usually pluck them, which is nice to keep the skin, but sometimes it would be nice to quickly skin them,too.
    Last year I tried a new way to pluck my ducks. I started off the same way you would if you were to brest then,from their you just stick your finger between the skin and the meat and just separate it. It works but you will have no skin on the ducks.
    Last edited by Jelvis; Yesterday at 10:24 PM. Reason: ATTENTION: YOUR HONEY HOLE has been JEL ZEROED

" A boss is like a diaper, always on your ass and full of shit!"