Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 185866676869 LastLast

Thread: Trophy Blacktail Hunting 2012

Re: Trophy Blacktail Hunting 2012

Awesome video!! already watched it half a dozen times, that one buck that looks like a big old deuce is a pig. a thing of beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by BBD View Post
    Awesome video!! already watched it half a dozen times, that one buck that looks like a big old deuce is a pig. a thing of beauty!
    The live duece in th timber was HUGE...I had shot a 120's 5X4 maybe 50 yrds from where he stood two weeks prior.I had only one tag left and was after a much larger buck than him so I only video'd him.Later at home I was really questioning my sanity for not taking him as he was absolutely incredible...then a year later I ran into him with two tags and smoked him at 15 yrds.
    The live footage from the trail cam of that other buck in broad daylight walking away is a MONSTER. He has 3 up top on left , looks to be two on right with maybe 4" brow tines.His frame is about as big as a mainland coastal frame will get , true hogster!! I'm glad I never ran into him cause if you have a buck like him looking at you head on in timber the triggers getting pulled asap.....but he isnt 'THE' one , not sure I could let him walk , what a buck !!!...hes still alive as the video was Nov 28, maybe I'll get lucky and find his gear this spring.

Epic thread thanks for all your work and for sharing PG. Great video you might have to quit your day job and really get at this huntin vid thing some day
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

Great job PG! Thanks for putting that vid together. Not only did it make me homesick for the Sea to Sky but now I want to learn the Cello!

Came across this today by accident on the GOABC page.

Looking for something new to hunt on Vancouver Island? How about a purebred blacktail deer? Conducted during the prime hunting times from late October through late November this hunt is during the peak of the pre-rut and main rut periods. Hunts are challenging free range, fair chase hunts, no fences here! Hunt tactics include glassing, hiking and stand hunts conducted in second growth forests, old growth forests and agricultural fringe zones.

Exciting new DNA research has been conducted into the history of Vancouver Island blacktail deer. As a result Grand Slam Club/Ovis (GSCO) has recently classified the Vancouver Island blacktail deer as Sitka for the Super TenŽ and Super SlamŽ trophy record books.

The reclassification was result of a newDNA study that tracked the early blacktail deer migration from a single refuge along the Pacific Northwest coast and found that blacktail deer re-colonized areas in accordance with the pattern of glacial retreat, with an initial northward migration along a coastal route and secondary re-colonization inland. The deer's migration route colonized Vancouver Island first and then northward to the Alexander Archipelago.

One of the key findings of the study was that 'Sitka black-tailed deer are not strongly differentiated from Columbian black-tailed deer, which suggests that the Sitka may be a coastal form of blacktail influenced by its environment'. You can read more about this influential Boone and Crockett study here - B&C Conservation Grants

Vancouver Island offers one of the true, pure, indigenous populations of blacktail deer on the Pacific Coast, in an easy to access southern locale. Hunters can arrive via Victoria International Airport (YYJ) for quick and easy access. Visit beautiful downtown Victoria while you are here.

I have always kinda thought they were more like a 'sitka',especially after seeing hundreds of them on Kodiak Island.

This should result in a mass migration of hunters to the Island, looking to complete thier Super Slam . It is already hard enough to find ground that doesn't have hunters foot prints on it .

Then again... maybe not.
    HEADLONG, heedless we rush, to allow shortsighted men pleading specious lesser needs, to violate our parks, forests and wilderness, to ruin for all time what all time cannot replace!

Thumbs up Re: Trophy Blacktail Hunting 2012

"I have always kinda thought they were more like a 'sitka', especially after seeing hundreds of them on Kodiak Island."

Very Cool! Finally!! Pretty much my own thoughts all along!

THANKS for Sharing!!

Cheers,
    Nog
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVNNhzkJ-UU&feature=related

Egotistical, Self Centered, Son of a Bitch Killer that Doesn't Play Well With Others.

Guess he got to Know me

OUCH..........

Quote Originally Posted by proguide66 View Post
    OUCH..........

HOLLY CRAP!!!!!!!!! That is with out a doubt the biggest BT for mass I have seen dead or alive......

Steve, BC buck????

WOW!!!!

Cheers

SS

Quote Originally Posted by 358mag View Post
    "In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Unfortunately a south border buck.Oregon sure pumps out some crankers ! Imagine trying to keep your shit together with a bow as hes standing in front of you !!??