Page 52 of 69 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Thread: Trophy Blacktail Hunting 2012

Re: Trophy Blacktail Hunting 2012

Nice " bucks " Alex

Quote Originally Posted by proguide66 View Post
    Alex, super work !!!! That's the buck we all dream of !! I'm sitting soaked in steep shit at moment , day 3 of ZERO deer sighting, a aarrgh
    Sitting here by the fire, with my sweetheart and a fine glass of red, haven't seen a 140 yet. Maybe PG has ??
    Blacktailaholic

great day on the mountian today boys. took down a nice 4 pt with brows today in a place that i had updayed PG66 about. some nice deer in this area and this one is a fine specimen. pic's might come from valleyhunter along with the story
    Last edited by Dutch Ppoacher; 12-02-2012 at 08:49 PM.

Right on Dutch !!!! Can't wait . I'm takin a bit if a break, too much pain , lol. Retrieved some cams yesterday and gave an awesome daylight pic of a beauty 4.

Here are a few pictures to keep the thread going.

The first was taken sometime last week when I was at 3000 feet. As you can see the chips are on top of the snow. About a half hour / 200 meters later, I saw a huge bedded two point. I saw him from about 100 yards, all I could see was his G1; he looked like a spike elk, 12" spikes. Then I saw the main beam. I started stalking him for the challenge (I had my bow). I spooked a doe on the way, behind her I saw big legs in the brush, then a big body, then a big 4X4 rack. Range finder put me at 70 yards D'oh! I tried a wide berth sneek without success.

This one is of the 4X4 I shot on the 28th. (almost certain). I should go back and get it for my mount!

Last edited by Alex; 12-01-2012 at 01:51 PM.

would like to see the rest of this guy. the nose is in bottom left and just above you can see the tip of his rack.

returned just now after a group effort to retreve another beautiful specimen of a blacktail.

This time i was the shooter and it was at a distance of 250ish. spotted this one +/- 20min before fading light. my spotter watched it drop on the spot. we quickly planned that he stay put to keep watch over the kill zone as i hiked over like a mad man to retreve my king off the hill. to my surprise. it was gone. waited for my partener to make way over and the search was on! in the dark we looked for over an hr. went back with a great group of hopefull ppl early/first, light but after several more hours of looking and using a dog, came up empty handed!
    the lay of the land didn't give us the oppertunity to see behind the animal, which all slopped away. couldn;t get closer cause there was a rediculas drainage and a flat between preditor and prey.
    it wasn;t a rushed shot, great rest. tons of time to look it over which confirmed how big this boy was. top of back tines where prob 16-18" above head and out side spread was past the tips of his ears. beautiful white face and huge throat patch.

that is hunting! sorry no pictures (not funny)
    time to start drinking, it is 5 somewhere

DP

Dutch, that's too bad. I've been there. the feeling's awful, like you say though; that's hunting! Good luck for the rest of the season.

That sucks ass bad Dutch!!! Feelin for ya , worst nightmare.
    If it helps, I'll post up pics of a cranker 'true' non typical black tail soon as the Internet gets working at the house, what a pain !

Tough deal Dutch, you're right it does happen. Keep your eyes open for ravens the next few days.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny