Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizz questions

Re: Grizz questions

You are not required to take the meat from a grizzly, only the hide.
    Livin' the dream....

Never hunted grizzly but do manage to bump into a couple of them every year while moose hunting. I find that they like the high country especially the less active valleys and meadows/slashes where they walk the same roads that I do every morning and evening when all is still and quiet. LOTS of bears in 7-28 (and 7-24) but way in "up in the hills". I know that there are bears lower down and especially by the salmon producing rivers but this tends to be thicker bush....difficult to hunt and dangerous. Don't think I want to eat one, but honestly have never tried it.
    Dawn = Game time !

I shot a grizzly 10 years ago and it had a tape worm hanging out its rear end just a thought before you tie into your roast.!!!!!!!!!!

I have been hunting for a couple of years and have several black bears to my credit(took my first in Ontario in 1980 350+lbs) and I have plenty of respect for them, any grizz will certainly have my full attention!

Tapeworm and other parasites are common in many animals especially meat/carrion eaters, it's something to consider when cooking and just make certain it's cooked enough to kill anything and I try not to think about what "might" be in the meat.
    --------------------------------------------
    "If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting." Aristotle
    --------------------------------------------
    United Bowhunters of BC (Lifer)
    Backcountry Horsemen of BC.

Quote Originally Posted by dougan
    I shot a grizzly 10 years ago and it had a tape worm hanging out its rear end just a thought before you tie into your roast.!!!!!!!!!!
    As long as you don't eat it's rear end you'll be fine. Don't ask me how I know this . They're like us in that they only host a tapeworm in their digestive systems. The tapeworm cysts don't grow in their meat(like a fish).
    Much of it has to do with what they've been eating. I've heard that spring grizz is every bit as good as spring black bear but fall bears can be a different story. Gut piles and rotten fish aren't my favorite flavours.

SSS

I tried some grizzly roast at the BCWF convention this year, and it was (surprising to me) really good. It was well cooked.

Meat's good if done correctly.

As far as hunting 'em in the spring - find the veg and you'll find the bears. On the coast that's usually on tidal flats (so I've been told by a friend who outfitted there) and in the mountains that usually means slides - depends on the area though some bears will be right down low early and then head up.

As far as good pops as mentioned Flathead/Elk Valley/most of East Koots has loads but high odds. West Koot hunts are lower odds and the bears are much smaller.

7B, 7A and 6 have lots of bears but make sure you pick an area that has plenty of high country. Trying to find a big grizz in the rm trench is right up there with getting a buffalo draw!

With grizz hunting usually the toughest thing (depending on area) is access. Spring time for usually means boat/quad/snowshoe/shoe leather access only. Lots of glassing and lots of miles.
    Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.

Mandela