Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Definition of "advertising"

Re: Definition of "advertising"

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    When someone posts "Costco/Walmart/WSS/CT etc has a sale on xyz product for $xxx .xxx " then it's advertising for those companies, whether you are benefitting from it financially or not.

Hope that is simple and clear.
    Crystal clear....

Next time someone finds a really good piece of hunting gear, they can start a thread titled "Great new piece of gear".

The first post could go something like this, "Bought a new (GFY) and it worked awsome on my recent sheep hunt. I paid (GFY), which I thought was very reasonable for such a product, considering its weight and multi use capabilities. If you would like one for yourself, you can find it at (GFY).

Am I missing anything?

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    Having a hunting website where we can all share our stories, pictures and ideas is awesome too. A few rules and guidelines that keep current sponsors happy seem pretty reasonable to me. I realize Gunner's question seemed innocent enough yesterday and I even responded on his thread. The fact is, site sponsors sell merino wool base layers as well. Directing business away from those sponsors will take away their desire to support the site. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.

Thanks coach!
    Last edited by Iltasyuko; 10-20-2012 at 03:52 PM.

The thread on wool pant has lots of name dropping happening, yet it ticks on, so I guess GR doesn;t sell wool pants.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

we try pretty hard to not have our site sponsors compete with any free advertising. Not fair when you pay for it and other companies get it free.

Some posts fall through the cracks though....

What about saying " I shot a moose with a ruger topped with a vortex, firing Barnes....I love it "

Thats positive word of mouth of non-sponsors, but those dont get deleted.
    ...No enterprise is more likely to succeed than one concealed from the enemy until it is ripe for execution...

If you want the prime bush, follow the Dawg...

Quote Originally Posted by NoahDawg View Post
    What about saying " I shot a moose with a ruger topped with a vortex, firing Barnes....I love it "

Probably due to the fact that there is no retailer, and no price mentioned on the thread. Seems that those two variables are difference between what constitutes advertising, and what doesn't. Just a hunch though. We can still pimp Goldbond, providing we don't tell anyone where to get it, and the price
    Team Goldbond Administrative Assistant

Quote Originally Posted by NoahDawg View Post

A number of our sponsors sell those products, so please feel free to spread the word of your success with those items. Just don't start a thread about how WSS has a sale on Vortex optics, please. Make sense?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

The idea of censoring the forums to favour the sponsors is fundamentally flawed. When I make a purchase, I want to feel good about it. I want to know that I've considered all the factors and picked the best combination of price, service and other intangibles.

What you're saying by censoring the forums is that the sponsors prefer to do business by duping their customers into buying from them by manipulating the information we have as customers. That may not be your intention, but that is the effect.

Censorship of any kind creates an atmosphere of distrust, and the sponsors are now associated with that.

The Wholesale Sports catalogue has full page ads from gear manufactures– Garmin purchased an entire page in the GPS section, but the catalogue lists products from Garmin and many other GPS manufacturers. What is going on with this forum is akin to advertisers like Garmin telling Wholesale Sports they cannot list products from competitors because Garmin has purchased advertising space.

Who knows if advertisers on HBC are trying to manipulate conversations in the forum, but it appears to be the case. There are those that believe in open markets and freedom, and those that when given the ability, will sort out for all what is fair, ethical and right.
    Last edited by Iltasyuko; 10-20-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOtter View Post
    Crystal clear....

Next time someone finds a really good piece of hunting gear, they can start a thread titled "Great new piece of gear".

The first post could go something like this, "Bought a new (GFY) and it worked awsome on my recent sheep hunt. I paid (GFY), which I thought was very reasonable for such a product, considering its weight and multi use capabilities. If you would like one for yourself, you can find it at (GFY).

Am I missing anything?
    So is riverotters "way" of writing it up ok and not be deleted??

i thought this site was for the hunters by the hunters!

hmmm..