Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Definition of "advertising"

Definition of "advertising"

Yesterday several posts on wool socks & underwear at Costco were deleted. The stated reason was "advertising".

None of the posters involved had any financial interest whatsoever except as consumers. If we can't talk about the full range of products out there, how much they cost and where to get them, what is the point of the Hunting Gear forum?

Could you please update the Forum Guidelines with a more specific definition of "advertising" so we know what we're allowed to post without it being deleted?

This whole thing has left a very bad taste in my mouth Basically I can't trust anything I read about hunting gear here now, knowing that this forum is so heavily censored.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Definition of "advertising"

^ X2

A big reason that I come here is to get advice and opinions on things like gear. Wouldn't it make sense to say that expressing your opinion on gear from xxxx that cost xxxx was a good deal and you recommend the product is an OK thing to do?

Advertising - in my thinking - is something done to aquire business. It is generally done by someone with a vested interest in boosting sales and is completely self-serving.

Was the problem the stores name being posted? can we discuss product names but not store names? Doesn't really make sense because if someone says "Kirkland" I know what store to go to and if someone says some other brand that I don't know then my first question is where can I see them?

I'm all for boosting the business to the sites sponsors - they can send me a weekly pm to advertise sales or new products if they want. Can't we find a way to share opinions freely and boost the sponsors too?

I agree,a sticky on "advertising" would be beneficial.I had two of my posts deleted yesterday,posts that were asking questions about a product and its availability.I have been told they were considered "advertising",and against the rules. I apologise,such was not my intent.The fact that I was unaware that my posts were condidered "advertising",could be allieviated by putting up a sticky defining the rules.If we are limited on the items we can discuss,or if we don't post because we don't want to step on someone's toes then what then is the point of having a hunting gear section? Gunner
    Support the BCWF, they volunteer to benefit all of us.

Being governed is awesome.

When someone posts "Costco/Walmart/WSS/CT etc has a sale on xyz product for $xxx .xxx " then it's advertising for those companies, whether you are benefitting from it financially or not.

Hope that is simple and clear.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

would it be ok to say A AND W have 2 mama burgers on for 3 bucks or is that taboo as well ...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Iltasyuko View Post
    Being governed is awesome.
    Having a hunting website where we can all share our stories, pictures and ideas is awesome too. A few rules and guidelines that keep current sponsors happy seem pretty reasonable to me. I realize Gunner's question seemed innocent enough yesterday and I even responded on his thread. The fact is, site sponsors sell merino wool base layers as well. Directing business away from those sponsors will take away their desire to support the site. Not sure why this is so hard to understand.
    Resident Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by coach View Post
    To post pics on HBC:

1- sign up for a free account at www.photobucket.com
    2- upload your pics to your album on photobucket
    3- click on the pic you want to post on hbc
    4- copy and paste the IMG code (bottom of 4 choices) into your thread on HBC
    5- thank the Coach

Quote Originally Posted by frenchbar View Post
    would it be ok to say A AND W have 2 mama burgers on for 3 bucks or is that taboo as well ...lol
    Go for it. McDonalds and Wendys aren't site sponsors.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Go for it. McDonalds and Wendys aren't site sponsors.
    thats what i thought hahaha

All I got to say is gunners got it right.

Seen another forum last week almost implode from being over governed for the same exact issue. Whats better lots of members creating lots of traffic and a sponsors banner is viewed more at the top. Or being alienated and membership goes down or even another forum is created which happened in the other case. that forum is 3X the size of this one for duck hunting.

The admin and mods figured they were in the right... well when you got no members and no traffic have fun moderatoring no new posts. Like in sales, the members are always right, you pinch us enough you may lose us.
    1st Im in charge, and if not Matt is. Your job is to sign checks, tell us we're doing good and open your case of scotch after a good day. 2nd my fee. You can keep it, all I want in exchange for my service is the right to hunt all the drakes. A male. Buck only. Why and how are my business. If you don't like it, go alone. Set up right here or in a swamp or in the middle of a noshoot field for all I care. I've been on too many duck hunts with rich dentists to listen to any more suicidal ideas. Ok?