Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do I need to buy for a good Camp/Hunt?

What do I need to buy for a good Camp/Hunt?

Howdy, I'm from West Virginia and just moved up here. I posted on here before and asked if anyone would let me tag along on a hunt. I got to go with a guy from on here and finally got to see the beauty that is British Columbia. I'm trying to plan a trip when I can with a few more guys off here but I have been tagging along not with a weapon. I am not aloud to harvest an animal because I'm not Canadian and don't have the proper paper work or money to hunt here as an American. Well great news just came to me this week. I got accepted to be a resident of Canada. Which means I can get a cheaper hunting license just like a Canadian. It also means I can legally find a job and save money. Hunting and Fishing was my life back in West Virginia and I plan for it to be the same in Canada. only issue is hunting was a poor mans sport back home. It seems theres more investment in time, traveling, and gear here. Which I accept. I know this land is more vast and grand then what I'm used to. But I'm starting fresh and blind.

So what I'm hoping is if some wise hunters from this area could give me a list of things I'm going to need for becoming a successful hunter in BC. what I plan on doing is taking week 3-7 day trips into where ever the best hunting is. I know for sure I'll be hunting Whitetail deer, mule deer, black tail, turkey, and small game. I hope to hunt Elk, Moose, goat or ram, and black bear. I heard of some lottery system on i think elk, moose, and goat. so I'm not for sure I'f I'll focus on those. I'll have to do more research. here is a list of what I have that isn't staying back in West Virginia.

1) Savage .308 10 FLCP-K
    (( I have a scope but it doesn't zoom in far. its not an issue in the woods back home. but I'm planning on upgrading it for the more open views in BC so if anyone has a make and model I should get please let me know ))

I do a lot of traditional bow hunting and have everything for that.

A toyota tacoma 4x4

I have normal camping tools but I lost most of my supplies in a hurricane back on the east coast. It took all three of my tents full of stuff

Here is a list of what I guess I'll need.

1) my wife wants to hunt a lot with me and needs a cozy place to sleep so I am thinking a slide in truck camper so she has a home away from home. I'm guessing my truck can handle one around 1,000 pounds. I ask you, is this a good choice? Am I able to get to where I can to set up camp in an area for successful hunting. If there's more I need for a camp let me know.

2) Camo and boots to match this area. the Camo I own back home is a lot different then up here I found. So I'm just going to leave it there for when I hunt back home. any suggestions on brand and camo pattern for here?

3) binoculars. we don't use them back some so I know jack squat about whats good or bad.

4) bear repellant or something of the sort.

5) A 4-wheeler or ATV and trailer. I really hope I can hold off on this purchase until a few years and still hunt in great locations. please let me know if its an necessity.

6) maybe a tree stand. I do a lot of ground hunting back home but every now and then I get in the trees. do you guys use tree stands up here?

7) if I can get into Elk hunting I plan to buy the calls you need for that.

8.) A good backpack for day hikes and to carry meat in if need be.

Well I'm sure I left out plenty. I know you guys get a lot of post on here about new guys in the area asking noobie questions. But Hunting and fishing is my passion and have been doing it my whole life. I really want to get a great set up to enjoy it and be successful up here. If you could just list me off things I need for a great affordable camp for my wife and I as well as what I need to hunt the animals up here I listed it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: What do I need to buy for a good Camp/Hunt?

Use the search command on this website and you'll find all you need...

I did before this post and found a thread of camp set ups but it was mostly pictures but I'm looking for more details. In the mean time I'll take your advice and keep searching though.

You can hunt with what you have. A slide in camper is great, I run one for certain trips. Get a good tent for rough access areas. ATVs are great but you dont need one. Some areas require a lot of driving and others require nothing other than walking out of camp. That rifle of yours will do as well. Camo patterns dont mean anything, if your boots are healthy use them. Most gear hunters have is luxery stuff. I have lots of it and could get by with little of it. A good backpack is required . I would rather carry a deer 500 yards than drag it. Go have fun.

Below is a GEAR CHECK LIST I created to make sure I have everything I need when going out for a day hunt. I don't always bring the entire list, but its a good start, especially when you get stuck somehow. Remember, here in BC, if you get stuck out over night unprepared, you can die from exposure.

GEAR LIST Checklist for Day Trip

Stuff that comes with me when hunting

On my person or in pockets:

Gun
    8 bullets and magazine full
    wind checker bottle
    S.P.O.T.
    GPS
    Digital camera
    Rangefinder
    Binoculars

In my small day pack:

Two heavy duty garbage bags (will work as game bags for pack out)
    One large zip-loc bags with water proof or bic Lighter in it(for grouse, organs, etc)
    20ft strong light cord
    Choice of Jerky, instant oatmeal, instant soup, granola bars
    500-1000ml water depending on availablity
    Headlamp with all electronics using the same type of batteries so no extras needed
    spotting scope
    Short lightweight tripod
    Compass
    TP as marking tape
    Olfa Knife w/one extra blade
    Electrical tape wrapped around end of barrel
    Small first aid kid w/ tenser bandage, butterfly and regular bandaids, gauze, Mole skin, coagulating powder, tylenol, tums, Space Blanket, krazy glue vial, medication
    2 feet of duct tape rolled up (emergency fix)
    rain poncho or packable rain gear
    Tags w/ LEH's and gun registration
    2 inch square of rubber inner tube (awesome firestarter even wet)

Optional gear (Check list to see if anything is needed prior to leaving):

Season appropriate Gloves
    Season appropriate hat
    Lightweight saw
    Animal Scents
    Game Calls
    Snare wire
    paperback novel
    Sat. Phone
    Spare socks
    Shooting Stix
    Hiking poles
    Accessories for walking stick/hiking poles (rubber end caps)
    Bear spray
    Gaiters
    water purification tabs (area pending)
    trail cam
    Sunglasses
    Wet Wipes
    Radios (for someone walking you into an animal)
    camo face/bug net
    Siltarp for overnight emergency, but have garbage bags also for emergency cover
    Whiskey
    Swiss army knife or multi tool
    Camcorder
    Dog tracking collars

If you print this out and keep it with you're gear you will never go without. Or save it into the notes section of your cell phone so you can check off the list and go hunting knowing you'll be okay.

Not neccesary if main list is brought

Knife sharpener – you got two olfa blades, easy to sharpen with a break off blade

Matches – bring a waterproof lighter or flint and steel as they are more reliable

spare batts – use all electronics with interchangeable batteries

extra knife – have extra olfa blades, weighs too much

extra headlamp – lights are a luxury, 1 is plenty

Spare Jacket or Hoodie – dress in wool layers before you leave

Bore snake and bore light – shoe lace or paracord will work to remove debris from barrel

Reflector vest – this isnt alberta

flagging tape – use tp as its bio degradable

Game bags cheese cloth – you’ve got two garbage bags
    that will work to get your meat to camp

scalpal knife and blades (in case I get something worth mounting) – olfa will work in an emergency

hatchet – why not bring a chainsaw

keys – leave at camp or at truck under a rock

map – GPS and back up compass will get you to a road

can of spam – shoot a rat if you’re that hungry

tea light candles – rubber tubing is lighter and burns long as well

Whistle – something you should learn

A spoon – this isn’t a sit down dinner, drink your soup like a cup

Disposable rubber gloves – man up, its only blood, unless wolf hunting

stove and fuel A blue enamel mug - shouldn’t need for 1 day away from main camp

lens cloth – use your shirt, or just clean before you leave camp

sleeping bag – should have enough clothes to stay dry and warm next to a fire over night

survival kit in a can – your daypack is this

fishing line with 3 or 4 hooks – 20 days before you starve to death

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    Unions and beacon is what I fry the liver in with a coating of flower on the liver ,,I eat the tong,,the hart,, its very good eating......

Bravepaw, grab a good set of binos as you may be in a situation where you have to count points and the country is so large you will do a lot of glassing.
    A slide in camper is fine, but then that takes your truck out of commision, a small tow behind may be a better bet.
    Atv, great for getting a moose or elk out, but I have hunted for years without one.
    Grab a 22 for grouse
    Camo, not as important as some good wool clothing, your camo color will work anywhere.
    GPS so you dont get lost

it may take years to acquire all that you need (and stuff you dont need, but it looks cool so you buy it), keep it basic to start and pick away at it.

xpeier

Over the last 30yrs we went from sleeping in the canopy of the pick up to a wall tent, to a travel trailer, to a slide in camper, back to travel trailer, back to wall and specialty canvas tents. Today we use the Glacier and Yellowstone tents from Reliable tent in Billings Montana. All the gear will fit in a short box super cab truck, this includes; cots, table, tent, two sleeping bags, memory foam, cloths, cooler for food, air tight stove, chainsaw and gas, small propane stove and kitchen box. Two people can have this up and running in an hour. Excellent for week end hunts and there is still room for a moose (quartered). For longer outings we set up both tents and take a 16x6 cargo trailer for the additional stuff and a quad. The cargo trailer makes life easy. Everything excluding the quad comes in at around $12,000 if you bought it all at once. And you can use the cargo trailer for sleeping with a bit of outfitting for comfort. We like this set up and the two cots are tied together with the memory foam is super comfortable. Seen as we aren't responsible to carry a handgun in the bush , I would suggest buying 2 or 3 Dominion Backpacker shotguns for defense and grouse. They are cheap and with many you can have one at hand all the time.
    We can only be kept in the cages we do not see. @

For boots, go with full leather (find sone with minimal stiching) and make sure they have a goretex lining. donr cheap on boots. your gun = bear repellant.

The bear repellant was for when I go bow hunting. Can you carrying a defense shotgun while bow hunting? All this informations is great. I have a much clearer picture of whats needed. Thank you everyone for posting. So what's a good bang for the buck on a GPS?

What county are you from? I spent some time in 'Lost River' a handfull years back.Hunted those rolling 'hills' , cool country , shitloads of deer and turkey and fox.