Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dogs with Allergies

Dogs with Allergies

Have any of you had to deal with dogs with allergies? Mine breaks out with a rash on his belly. I haven't been able to isolate what it is...I'm feeding him $70/bag allergen free Prescription Diet dog food from the vet, no other treats or food of any kind. I've also locked him out of the bedrooms where there is carpet. He doesn't have fleas or ticks. He still breaks out.

I have to keep putting him on Vanectyl tablets to combat the rash, but they aren't the answer long term. What is your dog allergic to?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Dogs with Allergies

My lab has a protien allergy, her ears get really stinky and she scratches them a lot. I have changed foods (medi-cal hypo allergenic something or other) and I have had no problems since. The food is very pricey but I know longer have a monthly vet bill. The one thing that the vet said she can eat is moose. I kept the leg bones from the moose we got. I cut them into 4"-6" pieces, cooked them and then froze them. I give them to her as a special treat.

I know my buddie dog will ich like hell if she eats any food with corn in it

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude
    Have any of you had to deal with dogs with allergies? Mine breaks out with a rash on his belly. I haven't been able to isolate what it is...I'm feeding him $70/bag allergen free Prescription Diet dog food from the vet, no other treats or food of any kind. I've also locked him out of the bedrooms where there is carpet. He doesn't have fleas or ticks. He still breaks out.

I have to keep putting him on Vanectyl tablets to combat the rash, but they aren't the answer long term. What is your dog allergic to?
    i know my buddie dog if she eats any type of food with corn in it she will ich for a few days

What brand of food is it? (some of the vet foods although SUPPOSED to be allergy resistant) do have some other nasties.

I have several highly allergic dogs and am able to control all with no meds. If you let me know what you are feeding I can possibly see in the ingredients what could be the issue.

Many of the vet foods BTW are full of BHA / BHT which are non human ingredients but more like antifreeze sourced and keep your dog addictiec to the food lol.

Beverly (from Rods PC )
    --------------------------------------------
    "If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting." Aristotle
    --------------------------------------------
    United Bowhunters of BC (Lifer)
    Backcountry Horsemen of BC.

My last dog developed an allergy to milk bones. The way I found out was by going right back to just dog food and then slowly introducing one of the treats. It took a couple of months and a bunch of money. Her skin on the ear would seperate from the cartlage and then would have to be drained and stiched. Each ear per sergury was $250 dollars. $750 later I found out milk boned was the problem. I know that lamb is touchy as well with dogs. That vet diet stuff is not always the best. Maybe try nutro or iams for awile? Do you have a fresh cut xmas tree yet? There are lots of different mold in them trees.
    m2c
    mtnmax
    Work little,,,Play lots!!!

Our "house" dog get wicked hot spots and rashes from just the odd flea. Haven't had any problems with my huntin buddy aside from the odd ear or eye infection. But the other one all it takes is one er two flea bites and he's done fer.......does he sleep in a kennel? could be his bedding or the kennel itself. Does he get baths or swim alot? Hard to say but i think yer in fer alot o trial and error. But definitely check fer just the odd flea as i know that is the culprit in our house as i check both dogs frequently even in the winter. And they are both on sentinel which kills the egg /larva stage but the adults still can live fer a while......usually just long enough to bite him apparently. Good luck!

Here's the list of what we've done:

Food: He is on Z/D Hill's Prescription Diet non-allergen dog food from the vet. It's got altered proteins (14%) to minimize protein reactions. Before that, he was on Nutro Lamb & Rice (2 years no problems until we moved to a new house). He gets no treats or other food of any kind anymore. Beverly, he gobbles down the vet's food so your theory on addiction is probably right ($70/18 lb bag ), what brand(s) do you use?

Fleas: He's on Sentinel for flea/worm control. The vet has checked him numerous times with no signs of fleas.

Bedding: Washed often

Xmas tree: none

The next thing on my list to isolate is our tap water, as he never had any problem at our old house. He stays only on laminate and lino flooring. I'm running out of things to test!

Sounds like yer doin all you can.......sorry and i hope you can figure it out!
    good luck.

Our dog developed an allergy at around 5 years old. We could never figure it out until a third vet told us it was allergies. We believe it to be an enviromental allergy (ie. grass etc) we tried all the food stuff and nothing worked. Rash, yeast infection on her paws, bad smell all came with the allergy. Before we found out what it was we had to bath her daily. The only thing that has worked is a daily vanectyl pill. She is now over 12 yrs old. Even now if we miss a pill for one day the rash returns - plus we can't sleep because she chews at herself all night long. We didn't like the pill idea at first - the only other choice was to put her down. However, now 7 years later we are thankful that the pills were available forher benefit and ours.