Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Hunters rescued near Toad River

Re: Hunters rescued near Toad River

I carry a sat phone...with how much gets spent on everything else , the price is laughable....
    My point is way too many people are heading into the mountains with a bit of technology to rely on and way too little training and experience.....
    I would have shot more...but I ran outta shells

Oh and it has nothing to do with macho....it has to do with being capable of dealing with less than lifethreatenning things yourself....if I have to walk 20 miles I walk 20 miles....if I can get help well thats good too but rest assured I'll be able to do either.....lots pf people spent a lot of safe time in the wilderness before all of this stuff was invented...
    I would have shot more...but I ran outta shells

SOME INTERESTING COMMENTS...lol these things ARE good stuff.The DO what they are advertised, if you follow directions.They are not a replacement for not being prepared...
    Looking into the very small number of failures they most all seem to be user error..waiting 5 seconds then turning it off.
    Ther ARE improvements from Gen 1 to gen 2 units... called progress...

Sat phones need both sides of each sattalight "duplex system" currently not enough sattalights to give full coverage..SPOT IS SIMPLEX..only one side...

IMO I have had very sketchy results with the phone systems..and I also use them every day @ work..sketchy coverage..

SPOT has worked for me...

good to use the SPOT unit EVERY TIME YOU GO gain confidence in the unit , its abilities and coverage and proper procedure...dont wait till its a death and dying and wonder how it works??

Be prepared food, clothes, equipment survival mind set and mental toughness with a will to succeede, some fdirst aid training and supplies... but in spit of that shyte happens...be prepared for aquireing help if you should ever need it..I have 36 year as a Paramedic have a exelklent truck kit, quad kit, and mountain kit...but still carry and use the SPOT.

good hunting

Steven
    Last edited by srupp; 10-22-2012 at 09:46 AM.

if the devices enable you to be where you have no business....they are a liability rather than an asset.
    It is well to try and journey ones road and to fight with the air.Man must die! At worst he can die a little sooner." (H Ryder Haggard)