Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Hunters rescued near Toad River

Re: Hunters rescued near Toad River

Just like with cell phones, it takes much less signal strength for a text message than a voice message. SPOTs are small enough and light enough to be carried by any backpack hunter. They should be used as an extra last resort for getting help, not as a replacement for proper equipment, preparation and use of brains while out there.
    Twist and pull.

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker View Post
    Because sat phones are heavy, bulky and the average joe can't afford one. They also don't work as well as one would think in some spots.
    thanks now i know.
    Resident hunter and proud of it!

Bridger if it helps, my spot has worked flawlessly to date, about 4 years now. Sometimes they take a bit to lock on and for the message to send but I can't say it has ever not worked. Pretty darn good for how cheap they are.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktailStalker View Post
    Bridger if it helps, my spot has worked flawlessly to date, about 4 years now. Sometimes they take a bit to lock on and for the message to send but I can't say it has ever not worked. Pretty darn good for how cheap they are.

I certainly can't say the same. Mine is a first gen unit and I've had many messages fail to get through.
    The first time I took it out, I had my wife in a panic because I didn't check in at the designated times every 3hrs. Of course I did signal her but they didn't get through to her.

So much for giving my family peace of mind. She was about to call RCMP since she'd missed 3 'ok' messages when finally the next message got through.

What I've learned is that the signal will usually fail (on my unit ta least) if it's sent from under ANY tree cover or if it's sent from a ravine. Now that I know this I make sure I'm out in the open before sending the 'ok' messages but it makes me wonder how likely my message is to be recieved if I fall down a ravine with tree cover and break my back.

The big downside of oneway communication is not knowing if the message got through. "Is help on the way or do I need to risk further injury by finding another place to signal from"

I would also like to see the spot combined with a gps but not all the other stuff like camera,flashlight etc. I agree it would likely be a drain on the expensive batteries, but if it's already tracking your gps location why not display it.
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

Ive ran a first generation SPOT since they came out. I usually guide roughly 60-70days per year in NE BC or the Yukon and hunt another 30-40 in Alberta for myself and have sent thousands of spot check ins and ran the tracking system and can say ive never not had one go through. I know guys that have had some not go through but mainly due to not giving the unit enough time. Mine is always on my pack so it alway has a chance to transmit. Ive seen guys press the ok buttom wait a few seconds then stow away the spot and then complain that it didnt work properly.
    I also pack on Irridium Sat. phone as every where I hunt and guide there is next to no cell service if any at all(most area have zero service) and have yet to be unable to get out. Sure ive had a couple dropped calls but none that I wasnt able to just reconect and finish the conversation. Ive averaged probably 400-500min/year on my Sat. phone and yet to have anything to complain on it.

Deffinatly wont leave home with out one or the other but you wont find many times where they both arent in my pack!
    Good training is always a must and proper gear but sometimes shit just happens and these two up your odd big time!
    I hunt sheep to see over the next mountain, not to measure the next trophy.

Mine live on my belt and when I'm driving it goes on the dash. Maybe I got a lemon but I have heard the same complaints from others.

Istill don't leave home without it though. It's way better than F all.
    But then what do I know? I'm just a lowly woodcutter.

I'm going to look into getting a SPOT for sure. I've always relied on my BackTrack and the usual "If you don't hear from me by 10pm..." scenario but I like the sounds of this. Didn't know about it to be honest.

I have a SPOT also. You can push different buttons for messages to family on emails - location, etc. The emergency button not used yet.

Seems to me that most want these items to send and recieve texts.....I get it, like everybody else the natural resource biz that I work in is on the safety rampage....maybe for work I would like this....for my personal time in the mountains away from the world....couldn't want it less. The last thing I want when I'm out there is push button access for everybody to get at me on my time. Now before we jump on the "oh my god what about your safety for your family" rant, I take the wilderness very seriously; I have my level 3 first aid, actually know how to use a map, compass and aerial photos properly ( and GPS for that matter ), can fix mechanical problems with my vehicles and ATV's, have 20 years of work experience in the bush etc. I realize that many people that like to go out don't have a lot of experience but I see many people plot a course on Google earth, grab their S*tka Wear and think that they're good to go. Some time invested in a small engine mechanics course, first aid course, GPS course etc. is well spent...it makes the difference of relying on yourself or relying on technology and others.

Here is the same scenario a couple of different ways from best to least in my opinion.

1. Wow the weather is getting brutal up here, although the badasses on W*ld TV would do it....and I really want a sheep, we better get out of here.
    2. Wow the weather is getting brutal up here, but I really want a sheep..good thing we brought the right equipment and have the proper training to deal with it.
    3. Wow the weather is getting brutal up here, but I really want a sheep...oops didn't have the right equipment or training and now something went wrong....well at least we have our SPOT and somebody else can save us.
    4. Oops was a total dumbass and didn't have anything...well sometimes sh*t happens

I realize this is harsh but if you dig into why accidents happen, its rarely a direct cause and effect...its more subtle like: you were out of shape, or didn't service your vehicle properly, or didn't have the right gear or experience etc.
    I would have shot more...but I ran outta shells

Quote Originally Posted by kgriz View Post
    Seems to me that most want these items to send and recieve texts.....I get it, like everybody else the natural resource biz that I work in is on the safety rampage....maybe for work I would like this....for my personal time in the mountains away from the world....couldn't want it less. The last thing I want when I'm out there is push button access for everybody to get at me on my time. Now before we jump on the "oh my god what about your safety for your family" rant, I take the wilderness very seriously; I have my level 3 first aid, actually know how to use a map, compass and aerial photos properly ( and GPS for that matter ), can fix mechanical problems with my vehicles and ATV's, have 20 years of work experience in the bush etc. I realize that many people that like to go out don't have a lot of experience but I see many people plot a course on Google earth, grab their S*tka Wear and think that they're good to go. Some time invested in a small engine mechanics course, first aid course, GPS course etc. is well spent...it makes the difference of relying on yourself or relying on technology and others.

Here is the same scenario a couple of different ways from best to least in my opinion.

1. Wow the weather is getting brutal up here, although the badasses on W*ld TV would do it....and I really want a sheep, we better get out of here.
    2. Wow the weather is getting brutal up here, but I really want a sheep..good thing we brought the right equipment and have the proper training to deal with it.
    3. Wow the weather is getting brutal up here, but I really want a sheep...oops didn't have the right equipment or training and now something went wrong....well at least we have our SPOT and somebody else can save us.
    4. Oops was a total dumbass and didn't have anything...well sometimes sh*t happens

I realize this is harsh but if you dig into why accidents happen, its rarely a direct cause and effect...its more subtle like: you were out of shape, or didn't service your vehicle properly, or didn't have the right gear or experience etc.

Quick question,
    1 - with all the skill you have and first aid training what would you do if you took a fall or had a stroke or something that affected you helping yourself or letting anyone know where you are?
    2 - And you say your you can fix atv's and such, so what if its an imposible fix in the field and your way back?

Scenario 1 your spot set on track does not need to be functioned for you loved ones to direct help to where you are. They already have your position. Then people say that they tell people where they are going. Ya but how many can show the exact trail 100%. And who doesnt stray from a set coarse if they see an animal or something interesting. 500yrds of coarse in the bush can be days in a search. With a spot on track they will be able to at least find you.

Scenario 2 Your 20miles back in the bush on your ATV and the crank seal goes out on you or you bust a tie rod end on a rock. Now with a Sat phone you can call and get parts and help or even a ride out or with a spot send a help message to get a buddy to come or you just start walking because your to macho to carry a saftey device that would have been able to tell your family you are ok after you are 5hrs late due to having to walk.

You can be prepaired up your ass but there are times that there is absolutely nothing you can do. Honestly anyone that goes into the bush without at least one of these devices is a dam fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some of the worst guys going are the ones that figure they are so good out there they can handle anything. Trust me one day it will bite you right in the ass!!!
    I hunt sheep to see over the next mountain, not to measure the next trophy.