Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunters rescued near Toad River

Re: Hunters rescued near Toad River

I borrowed my buddys Spot a few years ago when I went in a 5 day solo trip. Got back and asked The Girl if she got my ok signals.

" oh, I never checked. Sorry"

Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Philcott View Post
    Last time I was out and used my spot to send OK messages I checked in with my two kids and wife and none had checked their email when the phone said I had sent a message. To say I was a little choked is an understatement. I said what if I had sent the help message? I would still be sitting in the bush expecting someone to come get me.

The system only works if those you are sending a message to actually pay attention. At least if I hit the 911 button someone is monitoring it.
    That is the main thing, the person recieving the messages has to know whats going on.

I have lent my SPOT to a few friends for their trips. For the OK messages I put down myself and whoever they want as contacts. For the HELP function (we use it to let me know to call the pilot to get picked up early), only myself and my girlfriend get those. No wives or friends get the Help button as they might not full understand why it was pushed. Two members on this site hit the Help button (wanted the pilot to come in early) a few times so their wives could call the pilot. Not sure what happend but one of the wives called the RCMP as she got all these help calls. Thats is why I leave the wives off the Help messages.

Lent my SPOT to a couple of buddies last year and they hit the Help button to get picked up early. I was out of town visiting my parents where I dont check emails that often or take my cell phone. My girlfriend (who is permantly attached to her Iphone) got the help message and phoned me at my parents. She knew to get a hold of me when and if a HELP message was recieved. I phoned the Pilot and beleive they were picked up a few hours later.

Works greeat when all parties know how to use it.

BHB
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Boar View Post
    Are you M or F? Might get more takers with tits.

I wonder what unit they were using (SPOT, McMurdo Fast Find, Delorme inReach, etc..)?

Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    I borrowed my buddys Spot a few years ago when I went in a 5 day solo trip. Got back and asked The Girl if she got my ok signals.

" oh, I never checked. Sorry"

Sorry, right....... oh, that's alright....................not like I need someone to come help me out of a ditch or anything.
    Rejuvenation: Sitting in the slash in sub-zero temperatures waiting for first light and hearing antlers clashing together. Oh man, life is good!

I was a bit confussed between the the story and the messages on the map as well. It was my understanding from the artical that they left a boat on foot. So it is my thinking that they needed to go back the same way they went in. Looking at the map it appears they got further from the boat after the first help call went out. I am not sure why unless they felt they were closer to the road than the boat I am not sure. Or maybe they were tracking their way back to the boat when the injury occured.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by duallie View Post
    was that really a necessary comment?
    or do you just say shit to bully people and make yourself look better?

is that how it works here, member-bashing?

Im not a bully, im just calling it how I see it. Some of the comments you've made on other threads are purely speculative and hurtful to the families of the people involved. Do realize the daughter of the gentlman that drowned in leighton lake is on this forum. Your comments about his accident being preventable are ignorant !!!

Im an easy going guy but Im not gonna pussy foot around when someone starts disrespecting the deceased and causing grief for the families that should be healing and hearing words of support, instead they gotta defend their loved ones from the likes of you.

How you proceed will show your true character, but a good start would be an apology to a certain young lady!
    -Lightweight gunaholic
    -Half of a Human Pinata
    -Bear Kung-Fu Master
    -Gatherer of the Elk meat

Quote Originally Posted by moose2 View Post
    I was a bit confussed between the the story and the messages on the map as well. It was my understanding from the artical that they left a boat on foot. So it is my thinking that they needed to go back the same way they went in. Looking at the map it appears they got further from the boat after the first help call went out. I am not sure why unless they felt they were closer to the road than the boat I am not sure. Or maybe they were tracking their way back to the boat when the injury occured.
    Mike
    I can't see the map on the news now but earlier I check the lat and long it turned out to be a place in California. So don't use it as a good reference
    Shoot straight or eat track soup.

We (Air Force SAR) respond to many SPOT activation rescues yearly across Canada. I had my reservations when they first came out but experience has definitely proved me wrong. I have not heard of any issues with passed on co-ords. They are a slick piece of kit IMO...just don't replace your ELT or EPIRB with one .
    The shoulder thing that goes up...

glad the rcmp is ontop if things as well with search and rescue

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    Im not a bully, im just calling it how I see it. Some of the comments you've made on other threads are purely speculative and hurtful to the families of the people involved. Do realize the daughter of the gentlman that drowned in leighton lake is on this forum. Your comments about his accident being preventable are ignorant !!!

Im an easy going guy but Im not gonna pussy foot around when someone starts disrespecting the deceased and causing grief for the families that should be healing and hearing words of support, instead they gotta defend their loved ones from the likes of you.

How you proceed will show your true character, but a good start would be an apology to a certain young lady!
    Unfortunately though when you are perfect like Mr Duallie, you don't make mistakes. Thus he would have no reason to apologize or even have the balls to find out what really happened before making dumb comments on threads in this forum, and keep judging everyone that is not perfect like him.