Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunters rescued near Toad River

Re: Hunters rescued near Toad River

Quote Originally Posted by yama49 View Post
    Did you read the story, it says he broke his foot, and couldn't make it back to base camp
    Yeah but Mr. Duallie is perfect remember and he doesn't make any mistakes. So even if he had broken his foot, he wouldn't have got lost.

I am so glad that everything worked out for them. I bought a SPOT for my husband when he is out sledding, i am now going to buy one for me for when I go out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brambles View Post
    You're on a roll duallie, each time you open your mouth on here "stupid" just falls right out.
    Thanks for the laugh Brambles, that was awsome.......

Good to see that system works, and these guys are safe.
    But I still won't be buying into it. Stubborn and independent, I will get myself out of whatever I am dumb enough to get myself into.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Good to see that system works, and these guys are safe.
    But I still won't be buying into it. Stubborn and independent, I will get myself out of whatever I am dumb enough to get myself into.
    Buying into it? I might be misinterpreting what you typed, but that sounds like you figure it's a gimmick or rip-off. I respect independence, but it's not about being dumb and it's specifically for those times that you CAN'T help yourself.

Having a potential life-line and giving your family/friends peace of mind is worth a lot more than $99 + $12 a month.

No, its a system that works, and truly needed by some.
    Just not for me. Friends and I have had to get out of just a few trouble spots in the past, sometimes alone, never felt the need to call on help.
    "It'll never happen to me"
    Last edited by boxhitch; 10-17-2012 at 07:46 AM.
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Hey Rubberfist
    I was wondering does the track feature have to be used regularly for these to be effective. Or can you just use the 911 call if needed. These guys in the story said they left there families detailed directions on where they would be. This is something I could not do. When I go hunting and there is someone hunting where I planned, I will change locations. I am also the kind of guy that makes up my trail as I go, based on animal sign, weather, and access. I also feel that being someplace other than you said is worse than not telling anyone where you are at all. I do make sure I leave my truck or quad exposed when I am solo hunting. This way rescuers would have a starting point, but I will be getting a locator before my next mountain trip.
    Thanks Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberfist View Post
    Buying into it? I might be misinterpreting what you typed, but that sounds like you figure it's a gimmick or rip-off. I respect independence, but it's not about being dumb and it's specifically for those times that you CAN'T help yourself.

Having a potential life-line and giving your family/friends peace of mind is worth a lot more than $99 + $12 a month.
    Last edited by moose2; 10-17-2012 at 07:32 AM.

moose you do not have to use the tracking feature if you do not want. its also an additional $50 a year. i did not subscribe to it so u have the option.. u can instead just send a custom message, or a check in msg whenever u want, or a help msg, and last resort the 911 msg.

I use mine all the time with no problems and I do not use the tracking feature.
    Originally Posted by averagejoe
    thats pretty cool. i bet you get close to those cats some time when there low in the tree hey. when do they have kittens?? do you ever see baby cougars in the tree or do they hide in her pouch?

Originally Posted by wideopenthrottle
    ....I guess some peeps think a mother griz is like a crack whore ready to drop her baby at the first church door she sees...funny

Glad to hear that preparation and contigency planning worked out well for these guys. I heartily agree with the comment on peace of mind for family members and friends at home. One of my hunting buddies has a SPOT unit. It takes up minimal space and reasures both the hunter and the folks at home. He uses messages that have predetermined meaning like "we've arrived", "we're OK", "we're in trouble" and so forth. I think one will be in my pack next year, along with my pack alarm I used this year.
    BRNO 602 conversion

Quote Originally Posted by moose2 View Post
    Hey Rubberfist
    I was wondering does the track feature have to be used regularly for these to be effective. Or can you just use the 911 call if needed. These guys in the story said they left there families detailed directions on where they would be. This is something I could not do. When I go hunting and there is someone hunting where I planned, I will change locations. I am also the kind of guy that makes up my trail as I go, based on animal sign, weather, and access. I also feel that being someplace other than you said is worse than not telling anyone where you are at all. I do make sure I leave my truck or quad exposed when I am solo hunting. This way rescuers would have a starting point, but I will be getting a locator before my next mountain trip.
    Thanks Mike
    To echo the above, you don't have to use the tracking feature.

I use the "OK" feature to send a message to a list of emails and cell phones that lets them know I'm fine, which also sends them a Google Earth map with my lat and longitude so that they know where I am. I usually send one in the morning, one at mid day, and one at night when I'm back at camp. If I feel the need, I send additional OK's (i.e. if I'm in dangerous ground) so that should the worst happen and I can't activate the 911 or help buttons, at least there is a starting point for the search.

You also have the opportunity to set a custom message, which you can change (provided you have internet access) to say whatever you want (i.e. "Call the plane and tell him to pick us up at the rendevous spot.") which can be very useful.

The "Help" feature is used if you need assistance but not that of SAR. 911 is used if you need SAR.