Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaking my head... How could I have missed?

Shaking my head... How could I have missed?

I'm sure I'm going to get ridiculed here from some people but I wanted to share this experience nonetheless and maybe get some constructive feedback. I come from a non-hunting family/friends so you guys are my support network. This is my third year hunting and I've taken two deer in the last two years. I consider myself an average shot. I shoot a Browning Safari 30-06 and have it sighted in at 1.5" over with the Barnes ttsx 168gr. A lot of times I can get mickey mouse ears shooting from a bag at 100 yards.

Anyway, I was out yesterday afternoon still hunting on a knoll and spotted two does and a fawn crossing the top of the knoll approximately 50 yards in front of me. I was just coming out of a thin tree line. All three stopped and stared at me. From my vantage point I could only see the top halves of their bodies due to the slope. I stood and watched them. Then to the left of the group I saw the rack of a 4-pt buck cresting the knoll, making his way towards them. Due to the slope he revealed himself slowly and for a short while he stopped with only his head and part of his neck showing. I slowly raised my rifle and waited. I couldn't reposition myself because the does were still watching me. My heart was pounding and I was breathing heavy. This was the first 4-pt I've seen during hunting season. Finally the buck walked into view showing most of his body except his legs. He stared right at me for a moment and then turned broadside. I fired the shot and he bolted. I went to chamber another round and my rifle jammed. I looked down and I hadn't fully extracted the cartridge. I chambered the round and walked out to where the buck had been. The does hadn't run far and I had to shoo them away. I could not see the buck. I went back to where he had been shot and couldn't find any blood. To try and make a long story shorter, I spent the next three hours searching for him. I was practically on my hands and knees looking for any blood drops. Nothing. I searched the area. Nothing. Because of the recent rains I was able to track his footprints in the dirt as he bounded off. But I lost them as it went into the grassy area. I was praying to the hunting gods that I would find him. Nothing. I had that sick feeling in my gut. I couldn't believe that I had missed him at that range. In those hours it went from total disbelief that I could have missed him and he was now dead or dying somewhere to perhaps I did miss him and he's long gone. I've been replaying this over and over. How the hell could I have f'd up the shot... arghh. And now, I hope that I did completely miss the shot and he's not wounded somewhere. Man, what a horrible feeling.

This is what I'm considering, among other things, I was holding the rifle standing freehand waiting for the buck. I was afraid to reposition because I didn't want to spook the does. But after the shot, the does didn't go far and in fact I had to shoo them away. I'm wondering if I was being too cautious with the does and should have found a better position to shoot from.

I have caught myself flinching in the past. I'm very aware of this when I practice shooting and I work to fix it. I know I don't flinch all the time but once in a while it happens. Early this year I also picked up a .223 to practice my shooting skills, such as trigger pull, etc.

At approximately 50 yards, if I had hit him, the bullet would have went through him right? Would I not see blood?

Oh, and getting back to practicing. Muscle memory!! When I practice I slowly pull back the bolt so I can lift the spent cartridge out by hand... You can trust I won't be doing that anymore. I'm pretty sure that's why I jammed the rifle. If I hadn't jammed the rifle perhaps in those couple seconds it took to fix the problem I would have seen the buck bound off and judge if he was injured or not. I don't know.

I'm going to check my scope alignment today. But I don't think that was the problem.

I'm still shaking my head as I write this. I can't believe I totally f'd that up...

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Shaking my head... How could I have missed?

Don't beat yourself up about it. A lot of people would be blaming something for the miss. Reads like you are thinking about all the possibilities that could have "gone wrong" and working on how to have a better result next time.
    It's a crappy feeling but if it hasn't happened to someone then they probably haven't hunted for very long.
    I don't see why you would get "ridiculed"...I appreciate your honesty!

first buck feaver,, first 4 point,, sounds like you shot over him,, oh yea never shoo does away, why do you think the buck was there,, looking for the does,, if you cant find any thing you missed, so you missed it happens,, with does there find a spot and sit for a couples of hours the buck may come back,, if not check the area in a day or two and see if does there, a buck will be close,, good luck,,

I was always taught... don't admire the rack through the scope, worst cause of buck fever

I did the same on my first bear this yr. I still think about him everyday. 40yds brown phase had time to shoot and It was only 830 . Spent the rest of the day looking with dog . And been in the area twice after. Sucks man

You probably got a little tired from holding the rifle up and yanked the trigger, or dropped the rifle, at the moment. You probably missed being that you found no hair or blood near the point of impact. The last muley I shot under similar circumstances, with the fat 45-70 managed to get 75 yards with a double lung hit. It bounded away "normally" but blead like a stuck pig.

Don't beat yourself up with the what ifs. You practise, you were on the ground hunting, waiting for the shot. Not some Jack azz blazing away at a crappy shot. Good for you.
    Last edited by steel_ram; 10-20-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Everybody misses, I wouldn't worry about it.
    I'd guess a clean miss, and good for you for looking long and hard, all you can do.

And short stroking an action (bolt/lever/pump) can happen, just operator error, usualy at exciting times,
    I switched to hunting with semi-autos a few years ago for that reason, haven't looked back.

Thanks. I'm sure I'll be thinking about this one for awhile. I'm going to head back out there in a day or two. I wanted to share the story for my own personal needs, but also as a newbie I like reading about peoples fails as much as their successes. I figure there's a lot to learn from both. So here's to sharing my fail, and hopefully I'll share a success later.

Get someone with a dog to go back and check for him, if you dont find anything you probably missed ! Was there anything infront of you sticks grass ? Shit feeling better luck next time !

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

Sounds like a case of "buck fever.' A lot of hunters have experienced that phenomenon, including me. First buck I shot at was about 50-60 yards away and I hit the ground about half way to him. I was only 14 and very excited. Fortunately my Dad didn't rib me too much because I felt terrible already. Kudos to you for thoroughly searching for him. As "warnniklz" said, never admire the rack, concentrate on the kill zone.