Thread: Back from 5

Back from 5

Well we left in hopes of hat racks bouncing through the snow, What we got was the same as a lot of other people. However I believe they are there, just not in the numbers they were in previous years, and only due to the late snow falls. We hunted hard, in hard conditions. It was between -22 and -24 every day and colder at night, with considerable wind chill we guesstimated to be -30 or more. So to the trees I went and ever so quietly as the snow had that cursed squeek with each step. Needless to say I learned how to walk on my toes for 4 days to eliminate the second squeek when you place the second part of your foot down. I saw several beauty 3 points and many 2's. I had one crack at a nice 4x4 wth brows but was 404 yards away. As luck would have it another guy hunted the same rivine I was in the next day and got one as he was coming up, and I was coming down in the second part of my a.m hunt. HE was there for 3 weeks so I was happy for him. If only I didnt stop there for 5 minutes going through my mind I kept covering ground. Seeing nukmerous does in groups of up to 20, with little 3 points accompanying them !! Clearly resident bucks, not the big ones moving in to winter. On the last evening I got within a couple does on a steep pine bluff and had a 5 minute stand off with a buck with huge bases, like ridiculous mass and I just couldnt count his points between the branches. It was painfull. Especially when he turned to run and put his head back and to the side like an elk to make it through the brush. Thats what the big ones do and thats the thought I'll have until I get there again next year to get him. I'll post some pics in a bit. Of all the camps I only saw 3 deer inculding the one shot from below me, one a 4x2 that was in the spot every day that most guys just let be, so its nice knowing we werent the odd guys without success. Besides, every hunt is a success ! Cant wait to get a FoxPro caller for next year. Wolves and coyotes EVERYWHERE.

Only posting one pic, everyone has seen scenic snow pics before. Just an idea of what we were in. If you find yourself here, find the pines with grass still underneath and the rivines protected from wind and snow accumulations.
    Last edited by BlacktailStalker; 11-28-2006 at 05:02 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Back from 5

Sounds a bit frosty man. Good work getting that close to a monster in the styrofoam snow. Looking forward to the pics.

Re: Back from 5

I was rooting for ya. At least you got out there. Beautiful country.