Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: sheep hunting

Re: sheep hunting

Quote Originally Posted by GoatGuy
    It'd also be quite advantageous if that bighorn hunter was also a pretty decent cali/stone hunter.
    No kidding. I'd give my left nut to start off hunting with someone like that.

WoodOx Guest

Does sheep hunting - stones, calis, and rockies - differ that much? Yes the terrain differs, but once you know the areas, the stalks and animal behaviour is much the same isit not?

Quote Originally Posted by BCrams
    No kidding. I'd give my left nut to start off hunting with someone like that.
    Did dana already get yer right one?

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher-Dude
    Did dana already get yer right one?
    Nope. I have his. He and his boys needed me for glassing.

Depends on the season, but primarily Langley

No argument there as I am sure some hunters can relate to that!
    I sure can.

I wish I had someone to show me the ropes when I first started hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by agaucher
    Does sheep hunting - stones, calis, and rockies - differ that much? Yes the terrain differs, but once you know the areas, the stalks and animal behaviour is much the same isit not?
    This is somewhat true. The terrain is different and so are some of the animals. For the most part stones tend to bed in the open as alot of them live in the open most of the time. You always see pics of stones bedded in the open. This is not always the case as they head to the buck brush and timber too.

The rockies and the calis are usually in more timbered areas and I have noticed that they usually bed some where near it or right in there. I have seldom seen a Rocky bed in the open. Meaning that you have to glass them when they are feeding in the morning and evening becuase during the day they may be bedded in the timber. They will also feed in the open timber which makes spotting tough. I glassed the same slope once for an hour becuase There was sheep there the night before. I could not find one of them, I thought they had left the country, when all of a sudden there are 6 rams feeding in the open. They were feeding the whole time just that there was a tree blocking each one of them. 10 minities later they were out of sight again.

BHB

For the most part stones tend to bed in the open as alot of them live in the open most of the time. You always see pics of stones bedded in the open. This is not always the case as they head to the buck brush and timber too.
    Stones do bed in the open but sometimes that might be in rock or shale which makes them harder to spot. Glass early, early morning and evening when they are up and about.

Once they've bedded down in the rocks it takes a well trained eye to pick them out. I've glassed areas for hours only to have my Dad come along, throw his glasses up and spot sheep within a few minutes.

Can't wait to chase them next year!

Happy Hunting!
    Carl

Carl
    How did your hunt go this year? I can't remember reading a report.

SSS
    Last edited by Stone Sheep Steve; 11-30-2006 at 11:09 AM.

Brent,

I posted the story on my personal site. Saw over 60 rams, 9 of which were legal but nothing in my range (40" or 10+ years old) We saw 1 ram of this caliber (my dad figured 42") but he was run off the mountain by two hunters who shot smaller rams out of his band. (They apparently didn't know the big one was there) We were watching them skin the two smaller ones through spotting scopes.

He was a beautiful ram but the timing just wasn't right. Back next year!

Happy Hunting!
    Carl

Nope. I have his. He and his boys needed me for glassing.
    Don't tell me now that he figures that he's "not much of a hunter" because he uses 30 year old Tascos instead of good optics?