Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Truck Tires Needed

Re: New Truck Tires Needed

I've avoided studs on tires in recent years, since I tended to just run the Toyos year round, but I am thinking about buying some brand new snowies and studding them...
    When I used to use them, they sure did grip nicely on icy roads!

Any drawback to studs, except abit of extra noise?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Studs have to be put on the tire new. I have also heard they have less traction on dry roads. However I have never noticed them to be bad. You also need to pay attention when rotating since I have been told that studded tires should only go front to back and not switch sides. If you switch sides you will lose more studs. True? I don't know, I always just did it the way I was toldso I never found out.
    When it comes to icy roads, studded snow tires always amaze me just how good they are. I always forget until the spring when I switch back and get caught by the last spring snow. Mud tires are okay in snow, but garbage on ice. The thing that makes mud tires good mud tires is that the large lugs clean themselves as they turn. This makes them bad on icy roads cause you want the snow to stick in the groves cause snow on snow sticks better than rubber on snow. The big lugs are like driving on hockey pucks. You also want lots of siping (the lttle groves cut) or the thin film of water that forms when warm rubber touches ice causes you to slip.
    Also true snow tires are made of a different rubber compound that stays softer in low tempuratures than the high durability compounds used in mud and AT tires. This allows them to still maintain traction below 10C. Go out to a parking lot when its cold out and feel AT tires with your nail. Then try and dig into someone elses with snow tires, you will see what I mean. This is also why snow tires don't last worth a damn if you leave them on thru the summer.
    I always ask people who say their AT's or mud tires are good in the winter if they have ever ran true snow tires. Usually the answer is no. You don't know what your missing until you try.
    Only thing that compares is chains and we all know how much that sucks!

Rob
    Last edited by dirtyharry; 11-27-2006 at 05:44 PM.

Best bang for your buck-BF Goodrich AT, they're not noisy, have good wear, extra sidewall protection and can get them in numerous sizes.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...