Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HBC Fall Big Game Contest 2012 ***WINNERS POSTED!!!

HBC Fall Big Game Contest 2012 ***WINNERS POSTED!!!

General Rules:
    All entries must be BC wildlife.
    All entries MUST be accompanied by a photo, posted on this Contest thread.
    All entrants *MUST* be members of HBC no later than Sept 30/2012
    All entrants *MUST* be accompanied by a short story of the hunt. Links are acceptable.
    All entries must be harvested in a legal manner, as prescribed by BC Wildlife/Hunting Regulations. Tag and HL #'s must be supplied upon demand if there is any questions.
    Winners will be determined by random draw
    If we include a "scoring" contest, the winners will be determined based on a percentage of the minimum entry score for the species in the BC record book. There is no distinction between weapon choice for this category.
    Scorer qualifications:
    A COMPETENT scorer will be defined as a person that "knows enough and has scored enough" They can be official scorers, credible taxidermists, or credible members of HBC. A number of HBC members qualify, so if you are in their area, hopefully they can help you out. In the interest of expediency, GREEN scores are fine. if there is a dispute, the entrants need to go to an official scorer, or a scorer that is agreed by me.

Contest ends Dec 31/2012

All entries must use the form below to enter the contest, NO EXCEPTIONS. Entries that do not use the form format will be ignored.

Required Information

Species:
    Date of Kill:
    Region:
    Weapon used:
    Category Entered:
    (Firearm, Bow, Traditional Archery, Youth- note, not all categories may be available, depending on prizes donated)
    Photo:
    Story or link to story:

Additional information if you wish to enter scoring contest

Score:
    Typical or Nontypical:
    Who did the scoring:
    Last edited by Gateholio; 09-29-2012 at 11:23 PM.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: HBC Fall Big Game Contest 2012

Okay folks, here it is...Better late than never. I've been a little busy lately, sorry. I haven't' had time to solicit donations yet, so anyone that wants to donate a prize, please PM me ASAP

Remember to use the form and attach a photo!

Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Cool! Game on!

Species: White Taile Deer
    Date of Kill: Sep 27, 2012
    Region: 4
    Weapon used: 30-06 Mossberg 1550 with 180 Grain Hornday SST
    Category Entered: Fire arm
    Photo:

Story or link to story:

Was out elk hunting with a buddy, trying to get him in on a cow.... He spotted this buck bedded down in some absolute crap along the edge of a sleough about 650 yards away from where we saw him... He offereed me the opportunity as he likes hunting whiteys late season in deep snow, so how could I refuse...

So my buddy stayed on the point, I made the stalk, the long ways around til I was right near the bedded buck... He was texting me updates as to what the deer was doing.... Finally I got within ten yards and still could not see the buck.....

When he finally broke out of his bed, he went blazing by me at 7 yards, only giving me a running shot, which worked....

Was in a road closure, so we had to get the game cart and pack it out over 2 km..... Lots of work, but definitely an adventure....
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Species:Mule Deer
    Date of Kill:Sept 2nd
    Region:3
    Weapon used:Savage axis youth, .243, 80 gr federal power shok
    Category Entered:Youth Hunter

Youth success!!!
    well after a few years of only killing grouse and practicing with the .22 I bought my son a .243 for christmas last year. since that day it seems I can never get him out enough shooting. he loves it and for the months since hes talked of nothing else, but killing a big deer. actually he bugged the crap out of me to take him for bear in the spring, but it didnt work out and I didn't even get a chance to go out in the spring.
    Anyway....fast forward to sunday sept 2nd. Finally got the kid out to do some hunting for youth season bucks in region 3. We were up at 4 am and on the road from the wack. got to our spot around 7, which was disapointing, it was a bit late we thought. Oh well, we made the best of it and covered some ground looking for anything, even does. Hoping that we'd find a spiker or a 2 point hanging with the does. After all it was to be his first deer and any buck would do.
    The morning produced nothing but 7 does and no spikers to be found. We drove the 45 minutes to town to gas up and get some slurpee's in the mid day heat. got back into our hunting area around 2 and felt that there would be nothing out in the mid day sun, so we pulled into a dead end skidder road and pulled out the bbq to grill up some pork loins and chef-boy-r-d's. Took it easy for a couple hrs and almost had a nap. I say almost because this 13 yr old just couldn't sit still. He had to always be moving, throwing rocks, or digging some kind of hole. With my hopes of having a nap shattered, we spent a little time dry firing towards the empty clear cut. Working on staying steady in every possible shooting position.
    At 5 pm we loaded the chairs back in the truck and had a plan to go back where we saw the does in the morning. we were rounding the first coner in the road and I was just telling him that just because we were making all kinds of noise and filling the forrest with our awesome bbq smells that it wouldn't be unheard of to see a buck in the next slash over. So he better stay on high alert and get off his stupid I-pod. No sooner had I stopped talking.....we come around the corner and all I see is this Huge deer trotting up the cut quartering away from us. It stood really tall and heavy. and at the distance all I saw were main beams that extended well beyond his ears. I said "Logan get out and shoot that buck!!" he got out and steadied himself on one knee. what seemed like an eternal wait ensued. This buck was now trotting away at about 175 yds. He finally came to a stop at about 200. but he was behind some dead branches of the only damn standing tree in the huge slash. Logan says "what do I do dad?" now I'm starting to feel the anxiety thinking he's gonna miss out on this one. This deer is pretty spooked and not sticking around long. I tell him"move to the side, dont shoot him through those branches." so he moves about 10 feet down the road and back to one knee. then BANG! 1 shot from his new savage .243 and this beast drops on the spot. The bullet struck a bit high and shattered the spine just above the boiler room. Killing the buck instantly.

Logans first Buck ever!!

Pretty sweet buck in full velvet. Good job Logan!!!
    "Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid."
    --John Wayne

So here goes. Heather's buck. AKA Blonde Tornado.

Species: Mule Deer
    Date of Kill:Sept 3
    Region: 3
    Weapon used: Remington 700 in 25-06
    Category Entered: Youth

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...light=steeleco
    Last edited by Steeleco; 10-02-2012 at 04:44 PM.
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Shane's buck AKA Buckwheat

Species:Mule Deer
    Date of Kill:Sept 1
    Region:3
    Weapon used: Tikka T# in 7-08
    Category Entered: Youth

Story you've already read in the post above!!!
    Take a kid hunting its more rewarding than shooting an animal yourself!!

Species:Elk
    Date of Kill: Sept 11/12
    Region:8
    Weapon used: Browning BLR 325 WSM
    Category Entered:Firearm

In this particular area the bull elk are very silent, rarely do you hear a bugle but you will hear the cows. I had just crossed a small meadow and re entered the old growth when I heard the distinct mew of a cow elk, followed by a branch breaking, I dropped to my knees and searched down low, below the branches for any sign of the elk. I caught a glimpse of running legs and knew the elk were headed to the small clearing. Running as quietly as possible I moved back the way I had come. Glancing to my left I saw the animals break into the clearing and stop. I noticed the cows first and finally the bull walked out to join the ladies, a quick count gave him 5 points but then he turned his head just an inch and there it was!!!! The split 5 and 6 points!!! At this point the bull had enough and had just started to bolt when I touched off the shot. I had just shot my first elk. Wow, I felt like I was a little kid again.

Required Information

Species: Mulie & WT
    Date of Kill: Sept 28, Sept 30
    Region: 3
    Weapon used: Win 32 special, Rem model 7 223
    Category Entered: firearm
    (Firearm, Bow, Traditional Archery, Youth- note, not all categories may be available, depending on prizes donated)
    Photo:
    Story or link to story: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...header-weekend

Additional information if you wish to enter scoring contest

Score:
    Typical or Nontypical: All typical all the time
    Who did the scoring:

Not sure if comments are allowed, but I'm loving the smiles, especially on the kids! Oh and the big happy kid in post #8! Awesome stuff folks!