Thread: my 5 day whitetail trip

my 5 day whitetail trip

my dad and myself took the last 5 days of the whitetail season off,our anual trip.i'll try to make this a fast story.
    day 1
    we left kelowna early monday mornin.dad went to one hill and i left to go to another hill about a mile or two away.we were to meet up at 10 and compare note.by 8:30 i seen a ton of old tracks and a few does.i tried to get dad on the radio at 8:30 to see how he was making out.when i finally got in range he said he was just cleaning a 5x5.i told him i would be there with in a hour.when i got half way there he called me on the radio and told me a 4x4 just walked by him and i should keep an eye out for him.i never did see him but when i got to the clearing dad was,there was just smiling."ok,whats the story" i laughed.he drove into the cut at 6:45 and seen a deer 300 yrds up the hill walking on a ridge on the skyline.he couldn't get a shot ,so he thought he would just sit there and have a coffee.at 8:15,here the deer comes again.100 yrds away and trotting through a wide open cut.BOOM,down he goes.the rest of the day,we seen a few does but no bucks.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    dads little carrier for his tracker,works great.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    day 2
    we seen a few more does but no bucks.very slow day.we were sitting in the local pub that night having a cold one,when a buddy of mine comes in with a huge smile.he told me he shot a dandy but lost him at dark.the story goes,he shot the deer,it stumbled but never fell.he left it for half an hout then went to see if he could find it.he found blood and started to follow it.after 500 yrde he jumped it.off he runs.he let it go for another half hour.when he continued,he found where it way laying,blood everywhere.he followed it again and jumped it once more.damn thing just wouldn't slow down.it started gettin dark so he just left it for the mornin.when he found me and told me the story,i said he has to be dead after losing all that blood.i told him if he needed help in the mornin,i'm in.he agreed and left.
    day 3
    woke up to about half an inch of fresh snow and it was still snowing.we hunter for about 2 hours,then got my buddy on the phone.he had to do some work but was leaving by 9 to get up to the hill.i decided to start lookin without him.i followed to where he had last seen the deer,about a mile from where he first shot at it.i looked down the steep hill,through the thick trees i see something black fly up,a crow.i laughed,i knew the deer was about 150 yrds straight down hill from where he stopped lookin.when i walked,or slide down the hill,lol,sure enough,piled up under a log.i got dad on the radio,he said my buddy just pulled up.i told him on the radio to cut his tag,i found him and am heading out with him.after a quik,clean job,i start dragging the deer.half a mile across the hill side.he was one happy camper when he seen me comin!!!!! both his deer and my dads deer were the biggest whities either of them have shot.i was just happy to be a part of them both.the rest of the week was slow,a few does and a couple dink bucks sooooo,no tag cut for me.i'll try during the bow season!!!!!!
    [IMG][/IMG]

2. Site Sponsor

Re: my 5 day whitetail trip

some nice bucks, good work

some reallly nice bucks congrats..
    Originally Posted by Kechika Proof of sex means your buddy has to take pictures of you pleasuring your deer

That deer went a mile after first being hit?Where was it hit?and while I am well aware armchair decisions are easy-in retrospect,do think it would have gone as far as it did if it was left a little longer to bed down after first being hit?But a tribute to persistance and following up the shot-a lot of guys might have concluded it wasn't a lethal hit
    Last edited by ratherbefishin; 11-25-2006 at 09:42 AM.

Some Good Looking Bucks, Congrats
    Thanks for sharing the Pics & story

Excellent job on tracking down the whitie . You are to be commended for searching hard and not giving up...Good job..Hope the deer chops are good...

ratherbefishin
    the deer was running quartering away,as he pulled the trigger it turned.he ended up hitting it in the a$$.it shattered the one hind quarter and blew most of the guts apart.if he would have left it,yes it would have died.i still can't believe how far it went.up and down 4 big noles and through some real thick stuff.the shot wasn't the greatest but stuff happens.other than the shot,i think he did the right thing by just leaving it.

2 weeks ago off the 201 I was 1 km back off the road when I came to a LOT of fresh tracks. Just meandered along and suddenly came across a large spray of blood where a bullet impacted a deer. I followed the tracks, zig-zagged to Timbuktu, and never found the deer, or ONE SINGLE BOOT PRINT. He was hit left front shoulder/ leg, judging by the blood. It's too bad no one put in the effort to track this guy. I know from experience that an injured animal trickling blood won't last long, especially this time of year. The trail did eventually dry up, but once a Coyote or Lynx or Cougar gets the scent...............

great bucks, thanks for sharing!