Thread: bowstring tests

bowstring tests

I have a new 2012 elite answer coming in and i am going to do some speed testing on it with the stock strings and then swap them out for a set of custom 8190 and then 452x sets to see if there is any difference. Hoping i can run some decible checks also but dont know where to find a meter.I am curious to see if the 8190 is faster than the 452x as claimed. I still use 452x on my hunting rigs as i have never had a reason to switch. Anybody out there seen any difference in the two materials.
    Last edited by donny.brooke; 09-28-2012 at 11:14 AM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: bowstring tests

I replaced 452x strings with 8190s on my APA recently but couldn't chrono them against each other because I also went from #70 to #60 limbs. Like the 452 strings, the 8190s haven't stretched, twisted or moved at all. Maybe after hunting season I will put the 452s back on and run them against each other through the chrono but my hunch is that the 8190s will be a few fps faster.

The 8190s seem pretty close in terms of 'loudness' but that is just subjective. They also don't seem to be as prone to fuzzing from abrasion as the 452 set .

Cheers
    All the good lines are already taken

Found an app for my galaxy for measuring sound so it should work ok.

seen some 8190 on a buddys hoyt .... he has the same bow with 452 ....

all I can tell is that its a thinner 8125 (almost by half).... its also a bit thinner than 452 ... ie you need 26 strands to make the same string diameter as 24 strand 452 ..... other than that ... the colors are brighter than 452 ... like the 8125 material (need 16-18 strands to make same diameter as 24 strand 452)

I think this is how the speed in generated .... 24 strand for 24 strand ...
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

i put on the custom 452x with halo servings set and set the Answer up at 62 lbs with 12lbs holding weight with speed mods and 29 inch draw and got 285 average speed out of a 425grain easton fmj with a loaded up string. I sure notice a difference in the draw cycle between the smooth and speed mods on the bow, it loads up and stays loaded way longer into the draw cylce, not sure if i will hunt with it like that. i prefer the smoother draw over the speed gains, will give a week an see how it is.
    Last edited by donny.brooke; 10-09-2012 at 02:46 PM.

I found that with speed mods too ... felt too much like the the hoyt spiral cam cycle ... if I wanted that ... or my shoulder wanted that i woulda kept my Supertec..... for the extra 10 fps ... i didnt think it was worth the grunt ... smooth mods it is ... and I am lovin the 452 still
    A true Archery Nut

Willing to help and answer archery related questions to the best of my ability ...all you gotta do is ask

i decided to put the smooth mods back on the Answer, once i get it setup and papertuned i will do another speed test on the 452x set