Thread: Bow Hunting Sumas Mountain???

Bow Hunting Sumas Mountain???

I'm not sure what kind of a response this might get as I do realize most people like to keep there honey holes to themselves but here is a question anyway, I have heard of numerous bucks seen and taken off of Sumas mountain I have even heard of one spot to try named Batt Rd I went up there yesterday just to have a look around and see if it's worth taking the bow out for a day but the only two spots I seen are gated one go's into Sumas Mountain park the other is a no name little trail does anyone out there know if either of these spots are worth the walk in or is there some better area around up there?? I am looking for a local spot i could take my two little girls with me for a walk and maybe see a deer or two actually shooting one is secondary to me but my 6 and 9 yearolds get pretty excited to think they are hunting with dad.Thanks for any help you may be willing to offer.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Bow Hunting Sumas Mountain???

If you are going to hunt chillibush, why not just go to Tamihi and go into the back woods, find deactivations and just start walking, if you don't see anything at least you'll have a nice walk with your kids.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

curt,

It's a good time to be out on Sumas...the deer are finally moving. I have seen deer up on Batt Rd. The gate is locked, and if it isn't, the local bike club have left it open - don't drive up there - they may lock you in. You can hike up there and carry your bow around with your kids, but my experience is that in order to see a blacktail, you should go up when its raining hard and pretty windy. My little boy likes to talk too much and makes too much noise for bowhunting. There are some clear cuts up there though that you can try in the morning or evening...the down side is it is very steep hiking (at first past the gate). If you got a topo map, there are some roads that take off to the south where I've seen some deer while quading.

Black tail hunting is HARD and you got to be out often. My trick (I've taken three deer in the last two years) is to find a spot and stick to it - if there's sign, there's deer there. Walk quietly and VERY slowly (a walk with the kids is not bowhunting for blacktail, sorry - unless it's on an ugly day). Take two steps, listen for 10 secs, take two more. If you can get up a few mornings or evenings a week in late Oct and Nov, you should have a good chance. Sorry, I can't tell you my spot, I've thinned the deer out too much there already. But there's lots of deer up there, and they're everywhere - but you got to be really patient. My advice is to find a spot where there's fresh sign, take your bow up with your girls, get them to be an extra set of eyes, have fun with them, and if you see some deer, throw a party. But if you want to take a buck, unfortunately, leave the kids at home.

thanks I'll try that like i said it would be nice to go for a walk find a decent place with the opportunity to see something and if I'm carrying my bow the girls think were hunting thats good enough right now for me i do appreciate your help thanks again.

I went hunting in the Chilliwavk River valley area yesterday as I can't get in to my usual spot due to the snow. It seems like the deer are in pockets in that area, some places that look like they should be good have no sign whatsoever. I saw two does in the timber in the back of a slash that I hiked up to and bagged two grouse on the way out that was all.