Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Moose rut around PG

Re: Moose rut around PG

This yr for us (me and wife) was Sept 30 first bull and Oct 5 2nd bull.

IMHO, the 2nd week of Oct seems to be when the bulls are moving the most...probably because a lot of the cows are breed by then and the bulls are covering ground to find the leftovers.

We came back from our October 1-14th LEH moose hunt west of PG late on the 13th. We had many days of cold mornings (-2C) followed by scorching days by 10am (25-28C). But, during the afternoon of October 9th, the weather began to change a bit and my brother bagged his first bear an hour before last light. The following morning was 14 degrees and blowing hard when I tagged my first moose (posting a thread and pictures will be incoming) and on the 12th, in the morning, my brother called in and tagged his first moose. That being said, we only saw 3 moose total, all mature bulls. Other hunters in the area, to my knowledge until the 13th, hadn’t seen or bagged anything. Everyone we encountered had LEHs as well. The rut was definitely on but the weather wasn’t cooperating, though it was nice to hunt in lol.
    Last edited by ekul246; 10-17-2022 at 03:17 PM.

We spent a lot of time calling through sept. Finally called out a bull on the 11th. Tough going this year, lots of bulls answered but wouldn’t step out.
    Last edited by bc7mm; 10-17-2022 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    We came back from our October 1-14th LEH moose hunt west of PG late on the 13th. We had many days of cold mornings (-2C) followed by scorching days by 10am (25-28C). But, during the afternoon of October 9th, the weather began to change a bit and my brother bagged his first bear an hour before last light. The following morning was 14 degrees and blowing hard when I tagged my first moose (posting a thread and pictures will be incoming) and on the 12th, in the morning, my brother called in and tagged his first moose. That being said, we only saw 3 moose total, all mature bulls. Other hunters in the area, to my knowledge until the 13th, hadn’t seen or bagged anything. Everyone we encountered had LEHs as well. The rut was definitely on but the weather wasn’t cooperating, though it was nice to hunt in lol.
    X 2 on what I experienced, things turned on for us 12 October got the first bull to respond, shot him late afternoon.. We had not seen or heard anything 10 days prior, super hard hunting.. On our way out we saw a massive bull and cow standing 60 yards off the road just out of camp.
    I two will be posting a hunting story..
    Last edited by Spy; 10-17-2022 at 05:51 PM. Reason: I two will be posting a hunting story..

Quote Originally Posted by bc7mm View Post
    We spent a lot of time calling through sept. Finally called out a bull on the 11th. Tough going this year, lots of bulls answered but wouldn’t step out.
    When they won't come out it usually means they have cows with them, go in after them when they are vocal it makes them easier to find. I had a nice bull in the crosshairs last week, but no LEH.

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

Bagged a beauty 40" bull October 4 in the am this year! Was vocalizing, but wouldn't show his head till day 3! Was with a cow and calf. &mm barked, moose is now burger!! Was a tough year for calling, really didn't start to hear the moose return calls till around the 25th of Sept. Called a moose out this past sunday, came in quiet, and busted me, but it was in some thick regen! Had to work the next morning, otherwise we would have went back in and killed him!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"