Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose rut around PG

Re: Moose rut around PG

Sorry I can’t help you with that MU never hunted in that one !
    The Rut is triggered by daylight ,the lack of it . Yes the weather is a part of it as it gets the animals moving . Take the information the experts are sharing with you ,it will help . I’m not an expert ! Don’t sit back or get lazy until you have a moose down . When all the work is done relax and have a good time ! Stay safe and Good Luck !
    Arctic Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by ekul246 View Post
    I have the draw for MU 7–11.
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

You have gotten some good advice on the rut from a few of the guys here. I live just out of that area in Region 6. Started hunting moose in the area south of Fraser Lake way back in 1970. Today is a lot different but mating seasons are mating seasons. srupp gave you some good stuff as have a couple of others. I have successfully called out bulls from about Sept 10 right through to early November...but some is rut interest and some is just curiosity to moose talk. It is easier for locals if the draw to watch the weather and etc etc go out when the rut is really smokin but when you live in the suburbs and have to book time off it is a different situation. I would concentrate my efforts from Sept 25 to Oct 10 and if I just had a week it would be the first week of October.
    Everyone is entitled to voicing an opinion, as long as it is a learned one.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Retiredguy View Post
    You have gotten some good advice on the rut from a few of the guys here. I live just out of that area in Region 6. Started hunting moose in the area south of Fraser Lake way back in 1970. Today is a lot different but mating seasons are mating seasons. srupp gave you some good stuff as have a couple of others. I have successfully called out bulls from about Sept 10 right through to early November...but some is rut interest and some is just curiosity to moose talk. It is easier for locals if the draw to watch the weather and etc etc go out when the rut is really smokin but when you live in the suburbs and have to book time off it is a different situation. I would concentrate my efforts from Sept 25 to Oct 10 and if I just had a week it would be the first week of October.
    Looks like this may be what we do.

Keep the good advice flowing! Srupp has also given me his number so I’ll be picking his brain on tips and info once I have a chance to sit down with my notebook and get on the phone.
    appreciate the info. This is the HBC I liked when I first joined and this being my second draw ever, the first one was a lost cause, we’re going to give it a good hard try.

As far as scents and such, I’m trying to find some real cow moose urine to soak some tampons or wicks in and to hang while out calling. Suggestions?
    For calling, just use hands while cow calling and grunting or should I use one of those birch bark tubes? Or even an elk tube, which I already have?

As far as scents and such, I’m trying to find some real cow moose urine to soak some tampons or wicks in and to hang while out calling. Suggestions?
    For calling, just use hands while cow calling and grunting or should I use one of those birch bark tubes? Or even an elk tube, which I already have?
    We played with scents a bit for elk, like an incense stick you put under a bucket that has some holes in it, moose came to check it out. Other than that I've never used scents while moose hunting. I use cupped hands while calling, seems I always forget the birch bark call in the camper.

Where you planning on setting up camp in 7-11? Some areas are a bit better than others, I know after over 50 years of hunting around there.

FUNNY guys, the rut is early or late several times I really laugh when I hear some say there's no rut this year because of weather. But the caves show up the same time each spring.
    No one on their death bed ever said; I should have spent more time at work.

There’s some good threads on calling moose on this forum if you do a a few searches.

For me and I’m not an expert. Just cupped hands and do loud cow calls every 20 minutes. Start your call on the left and move your head up to the sky and then back down to the right on every call. High pitch until you get a tickle in your throat. I wouldn’t grunt until I heard another bull grunt at me first.

Probably more important is where to call. Find a spot where you’ve seen fresh sign. Try and set up in a spot where it’s a bit open but you have some tree cover. Force the bull to poke his head out of the trees and come out in the open. They seem to come towards you in between calls. When they hear the call they seem to advance 50-100 yards and wait for your next call and then they advance again. They’ll go between cover spots to try and stay hidden or circle around you and try and get down wind. They’re a lot smarter than people give credit.

Probably one of my best moves is to go out just before dark the night before near where you plan on hunting and do some loud calls until after dark every twenty minutes from the road. Try and stay in the open to project the sound as far as you can. If they’re nearby you’ll likely get something curious to come in close during the night and be nearby ready for action in the morning.

Like I said I’m not an expert, but this is what has worked for me. There’s plenty of guys here who have far more experience than me so hopefully they chime in. I think the calling plan should change earlier vs later, but this seems to work in that middle time. I tried moving around a bit last year and spooked a bull that was on his way in to see me. I started walking around and calling, when I stopped to take a piss he gave me one good grunt and I grunted back and he took off. We were in thick bush, but he was close.

One more thing. Be patient and keep waiting. Get in your spot before it’s light and stay until at least 9 or 10. I usually grab a quick cup of coffee and a couple granola bars. Just enough to tie me over and then have a decent brunch.

hmm not so important to know where they were..thats what tracks do..the moose you shoot on wednesday could have been 20 kms away 3 days before..during the rut they travel long distances..
    yes every 15 minutes by the clock call LOUD impossible to call too loud however yes titrate it down as the moose moves in closer.
    i GUARANTEE bulls can hear loud calling at 5 kms...seen them respond at distance too many times ..
    I USE tampons as scent dispersal...cheap..come with a string to tie it up into a tree..soaks up lots of BUCK EXPERT SYNTHETIC MARES URINE..and are biodegradable..
    I dont think real moose pee is legal...didnt they change that years ago due to CWD..
    OPENINGS not seen from rds allow calling long distance and moose juice to move with both wind and thermals..
    i almost never grunt like a bull they are seeking mating opportunities not fights..fighting happens in sept dominence sorting time
    only times I have grunted is WHEN I see a bull with numerous cows THEN I use the bull grunt to say HEY BUDDY I am coming over to kick your ass and steal your cows it does work sometimes other times bull just leaves with his ladies.
    cheers
    Srupp
    Last edited by srupp; 07-01-2022 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    We played with scents a bit for elk, like an incense stick you put under a bucket that has some holes in it, moose came to check it out. Other than that I've never used scents while moose hunting. I use cupped hands while calling, seems I always forget the birch bark call in the camper.

Where you planning on setting up camp in 7-11? Some areas are a bit better than others, I know after over 50 years of hunting around there.
    We will be setting up camp. Wall tent and diesel heater.

We will be setting up camp. Wall tent and diesel heater.
    You could see some grizzly bears in there too, so keep a camera handy.