Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moose rut around PG

Moose rut around PG

I've been hearing a couple of different things and just wanted to figure this out so we're not calling to early. Does the rut start firing up more in the third week of september or the fourth week?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Moose rut around PG

Last year i called one in around the 20 Sept in 7-27 he was just going into the rut ! Hope this helps !

The answer to your question is "peak" of the rut for big mature bulls is last week of Sept and first of Oct every year, year after year. That doesn't mean you can't catch em with a call outside that time, thats just the best time to catch em while there mind is gone wacko. Smaller bulls will be answering to the call now through mid Oct, they start rutting earlier and go later but do not get as rut crazy as the mature bulls.
    Their steaks, roasts and burger to me! Tom

If the conditions are right they will rut usually anywhere between the 3rd or 4th week of sept to the 3rd week in oct. Just have to be out there to catch it.

We find the bulls are most responsive in the last week of september. The temperature drop really kicks things into gear. A nice cool crisp morning with frost on the ground is ideal

called a mature bull into the kill oct 20th 2 yrs ago. wide window to work with....no such thing as too early or too late.
    If a tree falls in the woods....did I cut it down?

I called in a mature bull Sept 23rd in 2006, shot him at 15 yards...he was definitely hot for the cows. Actually heard a cow calling that morning as well.

You can't call too early or late call all the time moose are not silent outside the rut, this is how they talk. Cows call young ones' little ones call for Mom. Other moose hear it and will come to see what's up. All aside the call window is most likely best last week of Sept. to the beginning of the third week in Oct. but it does extend in both directions the "peak" is somewhere in the middle, and it is days long as well. Confused yet?

Awesome. Thanks guys!

An experienced friend of mine told me that he thinks the rut is now the first two weeks of October because the season seems to have moved a bit later from what it used to be. Got a shared moose draw this year so doing all the research I can.