Thread: looking for some info on 5-04j taseko lake goat hunt

looking for some info on 5-04j taseko lake goat hunt

i have never been in the area so just looking for some basic info like good camp spots, maybe a point in the right direction for goat and mule deer we will be there october 1 -5

looks like the entire area is closed for quad so i guess no point in bringing one

any help would be appreciated
    thanks
    chris
    .338 sako finnbear deluxe
    .270 WSM tikka T3 lite
    stevens 16g boomstick
    .22 cooey

2. Site Sponsor

Re: looking for some info on 5-04j taseko lake goat hunt

i emailed an outfitter in the taseko lake area and got this response any truth to it ?

Hi there ChrisWell I do have a bit of info for you,
    one; it is very risky to take a truck to the south end at that time of year, since when it snows you will not make it back out, big pass in the way extremely bad road/trail. Closed to ATV's past Red Mountain.
    Two; the goat hunting has been on a steady decline due to over hunting in general, especially the Nanni population, I as the guide outfitter have not taken out a goat hunter since 2004, the ministry well aware of that fact simply keeps on printing more LEH tags in order to sell them. Not management but sell out in my opinion!
    I do have cabins for rent here at the lodge but that will not help you much, the other cabins out in the mountains are under renovation and not for rent right now.
    Sorry for not having much good news for you but it is what it is, and I am not just saying that.
    That is all for now ,have a good night.
    .270 WSM tikka T3 lite
    stevens 16g boomstick
    .22 cooey

He is right about the snow. We hunted zone c a couple years ago in October. At midnight it started to snow lightly, at 3am our tent collapsed on us with a foot of wet heavy snow. This was in the valley bottom, thankfully we were not on the mountain. We headed out right then and it continued to snow all the way to Williams Lake. Was a tough drive out. Not sure how much snow ended up falling in there.

anyone ever been to this area ?
    .270 WSM tikka T3 lite
    stevens 16g boomstick
    .22 cooey

I have hunted goats in there twice within the last 4 years. I would say that you should get in there in Sept, and dont go if you only have one truck.
    I have always taken a buddy with a second truck. I have been right to the end of the road (Battlement Ridge) and camped right there.
    There is a trail into the alpine at Powell Creek, and the area is beautifull.
    There are quite a few goats, but they move a lot so if your'e lucky you will see some. Yu always see them on the east side of the valley from the south beach of Taseko Lake, on the way in. I know a person that did go in the 1st week of Oct, and did get a goat, and the weather was okay, but I personally wouldnt risk it i Oct. The pass that the outfitter told you about is actually a 12% grade hill, covered in small slippery boulders, and with 4-6 inches of sow you will not get back up it.
    Take a sat phone or a spot.
    This area is NOT for amatures or the unprepared...please take this friendly advice very seriously.
    Cheers

Anyone been back to the Upper Taseko in the last few years? From google earth, it looks like there’s no bridge over Beece creek, but I’d love to confirm that.
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."

So, I have been in there on a Goat hunt 3 times in the last 15 years. The outfitter is right, once you turn left at the Davidson Bridge, its on. 4x4 low all the way, cross the river twice, and no paint left on your truck due to the tight brush. You have to go DOWN a boulder strewn hill in the pass, and if you get 6-8 inches of snow you will be winching back up it, if its even doable. The goats are not that plentiful in there anymore. I have seen a few, but certainly not worth the risky drive. We camped right at Battlement Ridge every time we went in, and 2 trucks is a must. Not worth it in my opinion, as there are much better places for goats in the province without wrecking a truck. Also the Chilcotin FN dont want us in there so a camp left alone is a risk as well.

Quote Originally Posted by .330 Dakota View Post
    So, I have been in there on a Goat hunt 3 times in the last 15 years. The outfitter is right, once you turn left at the Davidson Bridge, it’s on. 4x4 low all the way, cross the river twice, and no paint left on your truck due to the tight brush. You have to go DOWN a boulder strewn hill in the pass, and if you get 6-8 inches of snow you will be winching back up it, if its even doable. The goats are not that plentiful in there anymore. I have seen a few, but certainly not worth the risky drive. We camped right at Battlement Ridge every time we went in, and 2 trucks is a must. Not worth it in my opinion, as there are much better places for goats in the province without wrecking a truck. Also the Chilcotin FN dont want us in there so a camp left alone is a risk as well.
    Thanks for confirming!
    If it cant be done with one shot, it shouldn't be done.

"grab large claw hammer - put against butt cheek , pry head out of ass with claws...then go back to school..."