Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting boots

Re: Hunting boots

Hey Hunter.
    I shopped around a lot for my new boots, wanted to stay around the 300.00 mark. I piked up a pair of Italian backpacking boots (AKU) at Valhalla, and so far this season I am very impressed. I did not get to venture out for my goat hunt as I had wanted, but I did have a very difficult pack out with my Island buck. Feet were completly dry, and the boot was very stable climbing steep slopes.
    http://www.aku.it/new/index.php?coda...aroladacercare=

The neat thing about these boots is that the tounge has a single gussett, kind of hard to explain, but basically it eliminates a pinch point, making the boot much more comfortable. The nice thing about buying at a store like Valhalla, MEC, ect... is that you can try on many boots, and walking the ramp will really aid in weeding out those uncomfortable pairs.

Nothing worse on a hunt than wet feet, and two places you should not skimp are optics and footwear!

Quote Originally Posted by kishman
    If I'm not mistaken the outdoor show at the Tradex here in Abbotsford is on coming up here in Jan. Thats a great place to get boots of any flavor, I bought boots there last year ( Irish Setter Deer Trackers) for $89.00. I tried on the same boots at Marks workwear 2 weeks before the show and if memory serves they were priced around the $200.00 mark at that time. If you happen to be on the mainland then it'd be worth a look I think. Good luck.
    I second this if you don't mind the trip to the tradex. The Irish setters were a great deal at the Tradex show. I however picked up a pair of Treksta hunting, gortex, 1000grams of thinsulate insulation $99.00 original $225-250(?) before I came across the Setters. So far I'm happy with them they have a very quiet sole. I'll be heading back to tradex next year and I think I may pick up a couple of pair of boots that are on sale. For the family of course

Have a look at the Meindl's. The investment might seem large to begin with, but you have to remember that the boots will last that much longer. I bought a pair of Meindl's last summer, and have probably spent over 150 days since, both working and hunting in them. They are still in great shape. Most people average maybe 10-20 days a year in their boots, so figure on several LONG years of service from a good pair of Meindl's.

Hunter,

I went through this same loop a couple of months ago. I went to Viberg Boot Factory on Herald Street in Victoria and tried on a ton of boots. They have Danner boots there too. I ended up getting a pair of Danner Frontiers. I tried on the "Trophy" and "Canadian" models and they fit me beautifully, but they were crazy expensive and too heavy. I called Danner and asked them what boots were made on the same lasts as the Trophy/Canadian. They make a "Frontier" model on the same last with the same sole. Leather is a bit lighter and they have some cordura on the sides instead of leather. They are much less expensive.

I could not get them from Viberg, but Cabela's sells them so I put in an order there. They fit just like the Trophy model and are a sweet boot!

Quote Originally Posted by 308BAR
    I second this if you don't mind the trip to the tradex. The Irish setters were a great deal at the Tradex show. I however picked up a pair of Treksta hunting, gortex, 1000grams of thinsulate insulation $99.00 original $225-250(?) before I came across the Setters. So far I'm happy with them they have a very quiet sole. I'll be heading back to tradex next year and I think I may pick up a couple of pair of boots that are on sale. For the family of course
    I bought the Irish Setters for $89 as well. So far so good. 2 seasons and going strong. Just make sure they are the waterproof model. Some are not. Pays to read.

Wayne... and here I always thought you just had webbed feet and the wet cold feet didn't bother you. Its good to know after all that you are human I guess. Hope you find some good ones, good and heavy also, maybe it will slow you down a bit and I can keep up next time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kishman
    If I'm not mistaken the outdoor show at the Tradex here in Abbotsford is on coming up here in Jan.

The tradex outdoor show is always the first weekend in march.

I have a pair of irish setter elk trackers that i paid $115(originally $225) for at marks work warehouse and they have lasted two seasons without too much damage. They do not leak but I make sure to seal them thoroughly before each hunt. The only thing i have against them so far is the evident lack of ankle support. When I buy boots again i will get meindls because the setters just dont compare.

H4L
    Last edited by Hunter4life; 11-21-2006 at 05:49 PM.

I have these, they are great, warm, comfy and 100% wareproof.Irish setter.raptors

I have two pairs .Irishsetters from Cabellas,Rocky rangers from Bass Pro Shops.Cherry pick the sales out of the bargain basement.You might have to wait awhile till the ones you like are on sale,they have all the best brands.The Irishsetters I have are more heavy duty for tuff climbing,sharp rocks,colder weather.The Rocky Rangers are a great all around boot,less thinsulate,a little lighter,both are gortex.Both boots are the same height.Get a good high boot 8'' 9'' then no water or crap can get in.Just wait for the sales ,I got the Rockys for $59.00 us plus shipping.Cheap for Gortex ,600 grams thinsulate.Those were from Bass Pro .
    Big bullets ,Big holes ,Big meals...

I have a pair of irishsetter (shadow trekker) they are lightwieght, comfortable, waterproof, and have 800 grams thinsulate insulation.I like them they served me well this year and i barely put a mark in them.