Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Hunting boots

Re: Hunting boots

I use Brownings 1200 gram high shocks with vibram soles, they've been awesome, walked through creeks past my ankles, hiked in snow, mud, always had dry and warm feet, cost is 350.00 but got sick and tired of wet or cold feet, so far the brownings are hitting their 6th year, so I will vouch for them. My buddy hunts with the rocky boots and loves them, just anything good and or proven is the way to go, you feet will thank you.
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

I myself have a pair of Irish Setters and they have held up well for past 2 seasons. But to way to Soft of a boot for Sheep Hunting and The Rocky Alpine. Definatly Keep the Feet dry and warm tho!! I Just orderd the Lowa Sheep Hunter GTX and looking foward to try them out this year

I just got a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers, what do you guys suggest treating them with (they recommend on the boot to use silicone or leather protector??), and should I treat them before heading into the bush? Thanks guys.
    "The Rocky Mountains are the marrow of the world"

I like mink oil.

Mr. Dean,

HuntingBC. 'Minnie' Mod.
    HUGE fan of taxidermy.
    My HBC Photo Gallery: http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showg...sername=mrdean

Quote Originally Posted by wetcoasthunter
    I just got a pair of Irish Setter Elk Trackers, what do you guys suggest treating them with (they recommend on the boot to use silicone or leather protector??), and should I treat them before heading into the bush? Thanks guys.
    Hi,
    The Elk Trackers are made of leather with an oily texture. If the instructions say to use silicone then go to a sporting goods store and get some silicone boot treatment. You don't necessarily need to buy the makers own treatment.
    And yes treat them before you set out on your trip. You don't know how long the boots were in storage before you bought them.
    Enjoy
    Tack
    If at first you don't succeed, don't take the Royal Marines freefall course.

I have Mendels and Vasque's and both have been real good. When we have to cross small creeks we just take and tye strap our pants over our boots and we have never gotten wet, unless someone didnt get the starps done up, wont mention any names!!!

I have a pair of Danners ima police officer adn use them all day at work adn then take them out hunting they are amazing boot but they are not cheep about 250 to 300 but well worth it. I have had the same ones for 3 years and wear tehm both at work adn hunting adn they still look good.

Hm, those pics of boots don't show on my computer. They are the exspensive highly colored mountaineering boots and they are water proof, but $$$. Now one thing about these water proof boots is that should you decide you want to go to the Vancouver Pride Celebration, they should go over well there.

Back to boots. To get a decent set of even semi water proof boots, you're going to have to blow the moths off your wallet, from what I've seen good boots start at about $300 today. I've got a two sets of Raichle boots I bought in the mid '80's. They're the heavy double soled hiking boots and today would likely be $350 before tax if you could find them. Also they can be resoled the tops are still good and I've still got the original vibram soles on them in good shape, I also use lighter hiking boots. A couple of years ago I went hunting with an outfitter one of the other hunters had a set of new fangled Cabellas Gore Text XXX hunting boots. He asked me after we'd gone out together that day if my feet had stayed dry in the 1' snow before we waded across the creek and I had to say, "Yes". So as some of the others here have said, there's a lot to be said for quality boots.

Now Wayne there's something else I should mention. I read about you injury with the outboard and now your complaint about wet feet. Perhaps you've reached that age where one needs to take a step or two back in activity? I mean with your experience I'm sure the hunters would be happy to have you as a "Camp Man". You could make breakfast for the hunters and give them tips on where to go and how and when to bugle and provide a good help that way. Staying within 1 km of camp so you don't injure yourself or get wet feet would be your hunting domain. When they make a kill you can carry the meat cutting tools and game bags to the kill site and direct how to butcher the animal even helping a bit, but of course no packing of game except maybe a small hamburger bag.

Wayne on a serious note, I know how aging can slow one down if I'd chosen my id here like you did I'd be hunter 1946, lol. Let me say I wish you many more decades of active successful hunting, but I think you should cough up for some decent hunting boots.