Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Gun Advice Please

Re: Duck Gun Advice Please

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    Okay, now I get it! If I were to buy a semi I would advise you to look at the Winchester SX-3's or the Beretta's and stay clear of the 1100's. I've owned two 1100's and they were both a POS, but I know there will be a ton of pro 1100 fans that will set me straight. I know of a couple guys that swear by their 1100's but they will also tell you that you better keep it clean, clean, clean or they'll fail ya. K

I agree with the keeping the 1100 clean thats why I clean my 1100 every couple 1,000 rounds or at least once every couple years lol
    I have a PHD is "Campfire BS". An avid hunter fisher man. Love shooting trap as much as shooting the bull. The more BS in my story the greater I am.

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    Okay, now I get it! If I were to buy a semi I would advise you to look at the Winchester SX-3's or the Beretta's and stay clear of the 1100's. I've owned two 1100's and they were both a POS, but I know there will be a ton of pro 1100 fans that will set me straight. I know of a couple guys that swear by their 1100's but they will also tell you that you better keep it clean, clean, clean or they'll fail ya. K
    Agreed on the 1100 the older ones are fantastic the new ones not so much, one of my partners has just sent his back for the 3rd time for cycleing problems 3-4 month turnaround time its been in the shop way more than in the field. If you had the $ to spend I would say a SBE or X2 but with your budget I stand by the 3500. as for new toys I got my X2 after may years of being a pump man just because I love it but still trot out my 1952 Model 12 every year cuz its fun.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

my buddy inherited a semi auto remington from his grandpa and it is a jam master,seems like it jams more than it dosen't even after a good cleaning,i have an 870 and a 270 dollar maverick and haven't had a jam in either,been shooting the 870 for 2 years with no cleaning and the maverick for a year with no cleaning,not saying you should go buy a 270 dollar gun if you dont have to,but ive had better experiences shooting pumps than semis.

Quote Originally Posted by russm View Post
    my buddy inherited a semi auto remington from his grandpa and it is a jam master,seems like it jams more than it dosen't even after a good cleaning,i have an 870 and a 270 dollar maverick and haven't had a jam in either,been shooting the 870 for 2 years with no cleaning and the maverick for a year with no cleaning,not saying you should go buy a 270 dollar gun if you dont have to,but ive had better experiences shooting pumps than semis.
    Some jaming could be due to the ammo. You didnt say what model but the M58s had an gas ajustment for heavy or light loads on the forearm end cap. set wrong =trouble. The 1100 had interchangeable springs for heavy/light loads also had to be broke in with 2.75 ammo before using 3".
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 09-06-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by russm View Post

I would say the gas rings need to be changed as well. You'd be surprised how many people do not know you need to change them once in awhile.
    I have a PHD is "Campfire BS". An avid hunter fisher man. Love shooting trap as much as shooting the bull. The more BS in my story the greater I am.

Last year I picked up a Stoeger Mod 2000. It hasn't given me any trouble what so ever. The inertia drive system in my opinion is far superior to the gas operated guns. Far less cleaning involved. The only shells it doesn't like are my hand loads. Anything esle from AA's to 3' Black Cloud work great. My son bought a Weatherby semi last yeaar from Cabelas for under $500. Another nice gun.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live!!!!!

there has only been one good auto made.....
    FULLY AUTOMATIC MANURE FLINGER

I would go hold every shotgun gun you can get your hands on. I was going to get mossberg 930 but then I held a winchester sx3 and left the store empty handed to save some more money.
    "Bears are like cops, never around when you need one, all ways around when you dont."

Tika T3 30/06
    Winchester sx3
    Remington 700 22-250
    Strother sx1
    Savage mark 2 22lr

I've hunted tons of waterfawl and always contemplate on getting an autoloader but the benelli nova always stays with me. By the time you pick the next bird and lead it you have plenty of time to "pump"

"A rifle hunter's hunt is over at 200yrds, a bowhunter's hunt is just beginning at 200yrds."

"Train Hard, Hunt Easy."

"A bow hunter in a week will learn what a rifle hunter learns in a lifetime."- Fred Bear

Yesterday morning I shot three times as fast as I could put the bead on Mallards as they were leaving the pond I jumped. Three dead birds fell from the sky, thanks to a forty or so year old 1100 and 2 3/4" shells. I have never had a problem with this gun, neither did my Grandpa who owned it before I. Have probably shot 10,000 rounds through it without one single jam or malfunction. Would think it saw that many rounds before I ever touched it.

Thanks to reading about the virtues of 3" magnum shells and inter-changeable chokes I bought a DU issue Stoeger Semi-Auto about five years ago. The Stoeger is a complete and total POS. It jams about 1/2 the time even though the action was replaced under warranty. The forearm also split and now has a pin in it. My shooting went for crap with it as well (nothing like repeated jams to distract a person). The last two years the Stoeger has sat in the gun safe and the 1100 has been killing birds like crazy.