Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Gun Advice Please

Duck Gun Advice Please

Hi All - I have been pass shooting ducks and geese for two years now with my 870 12g that I bought new two years ago. I am just back from a Yuma dove hunt (my second hunt down there - awesome experience - dropped WAY more birds this time) and it seemed everybody I was with was shooting Remington 1100's, so now I am eager to upgrade to a semi-auto (12g).

My limit is $700. Should I buy a used 1100, a new Remington 11-87, a CZ-712 (the guy at Wholesale Sports suggested it), or something else?

What is your advice?

As an aside, if there is anybody out there that wouldn't mind helping a novice out and showing him the ropes, I'd be grateful. I am a 44 yr old father and PADI Divemaster, so responsibilty, rules and safety are important to me. Like I say, I have been pass shooting for 2 years and know I have much to learn. Location is White Rock, but willing to drive anywhere.

Thanks in advance......

Michael

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Duck Gun Advice Please

save your $$$$ and buy an extrema!!

Yer already shooting one of best guns around, why change? You'll save yourself a lot of money in shells if ya stick to a pump. K

Quote Originally Posted by mklaver View Post
    Hi All - I have been pass shooting ducks and geese for two years now with my 870 12g that I bought new two years ago. I am just back from a Yuma dove hunt (my second hunt down there - awesome experience - dropped WAY more birds this time) and it seemed everybody I was with was shooting Remington 1100's, so now I am eager to upgrade to a semi-auto (12g).

My limit is $700. Should I buy a used 1100, a new Remington 11-87, a CZ-712 (the guy at Wholesale Sports suggested it), or something else?

What is your advice?

As an aside, if there is anybody out there that wouldn't mind helping a novice out and showing him the ropes, I'd be grateful. I am a 44 yr old father and PADI Divemaster, so responsibilty, rules and safety are important to me. Like I say, I have been pass shooting for 2 years and know I have much to learn. Location is White Rock, but willing to drive anywhere.

Thanks in advance......

Michael

Were I you I'd go for a new Stoeger 3500. Poor Mans Benelli....3.5" capability, all Benelli parts work and handle great customer service next to none(I speak from experience) If I had around $700 to spend thats where I would go and there are only a couple of other brands worth more I would buy OVER a 3500 no matter how much I had to spend and I've been shooting waterfowl a long time with a lot of different models actions and gauges
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 09-05-2012 at 08:26 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Thanks for such quick replies guys - keep 'em coming. I should have mentioned I dropped 11 doves in a couple of hours with my brother-in-laws 20g Browning Citori over/under, but that is way out of budget.

What is your advice?

Thanks in advance......

Michael
    If you think that you'll kill more birds with a semi yer misguided, what's wrong with yer 2 yr old 870? K

screw auto loaders!

I grew up where auto loaders become single shots after dec 1.

your 2 yr old 870 will kill just as many,

Lorne
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Brawler View Post
    Just lob a couple loaded mouse traps at em like you're playing horse shoes. More humane than bouncing darts off them.

What is your advice?

Thanks in advance......

Michael
    Darro Handy world class trap shooter 10,000 plus rounds a year......Remington 1100. Their is a reason they where all using Remington 1100's
    I have a PHD is "Campfire BS". An avid hunter fisher man. Love shooting trap as much as shooting the bull. The more BS in my story the greater I am.

Quote Originally Posted by f350ps View Post
    If you think that you'll kill more birds with a semi yer misguided, what's wrong with yer 2 yr old 870? K
    Point#1 - I certainally don't think so. Practise and mentorship will help.

Point#2 - the 870 is just fine and I am sure I'll still be firing it 30 years from now, God willing - nothing wrong with a new toy, now is there??????

Plus, with a second gun, my bro can hunt with me - I have way more dough than him.....

Point#1 - I certainally don't think so. Practise and mentorship will help.

Point#2 - the 870 is just fine and I am sure I'll still be firing it 30 years from now, God willing - nothing wrong with a new toy, now is there??????

Plus, with a second gun, my bro can hunt with me - I have way more dough than him.....
    Okay, now I get it! If I were to buy a semi I would advise you to look at the Winchester SX-3's or the Beretta's and stay clear of the 1100's. I've owned two 1100's and they were both a POS, but I know there will be a ton of pro 1100 fans that will set me straight. I know of a couple guys that swear by their 1100's but they will also tell you that you better keep it clean, clean, clean or they'll fail ya. K